Abt Associates seeks a qualified Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID-funded Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) Colombia Activity. This Activity will support the Government of Colombia (GOC)’s efforts to transition from a humanitarian crisis response to a financially sustainable integration of Venezuelan migrants into the health system. To do this, LHSS will strengthen the governance and implementation capacity of the GOC at the central and territorial level to respond to the health needs of migrants and the receptor communities, work to develop new mechanisms to sustainably finance services for migrants as part of their integration into the health system, and support the GOC to ensure access to quality care for regular, irregular, transitory, and pendular migrants. The three main objectives of this activity are to assist the Ministry of Health of Colombia to: 1) strengthen governance and implementation capacity to respond to migrant and receptor communities’ needs; 2) sustainably finance the provision of health services for migrants and receptor communities; 3) increase access to high quality, appropriate health care services for migrants and receptor communities.
The LHSS Colombia Activity will be a 3-5 year program, based in Bogota, Colombia with at least two other territorial offices. This position is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- The Chief of Party will have the following specific duties and responsibilities
- Direct project management responsibility for LHSS Colombia Activity to deliver results under three objectives
- Provide strategic direction and technical leadership to produce project results, including implementation as well as research, monitoring and evaluation, and learning activities
- Serve as the project’s representative and key liaison with USAID, government counterparts, and local partners/stakeholders and manage project relationships with each
- Provide leadership and technical support specifically for project staff, subcontractors and grantees
- Supervise the project’s technical assistance team to ensure a focus on core results, achievements of annual work plan and targets, and timely/effective implementation and reporting
- Work jointly with USAID, MSPS and Territorial Entities counterparts, health providers and stakeholders from the public and private sectors as well as other development partners for the implementation of the policy to integrate migrants into the health system
- Monitor the progress and pace of project implementation, assuring that the full potential of the program is realized through the promotion of high quality work and internal control, using adaptive management techniques as appropriate
- Exercise ultimate responsibility for on-time reporting and high-quality deliverables, budget management, and compliance
Within the LHSS project, the Chief of Party will be supported by LHSS home office-based operations, finance and technical expertise and will report to the LHSS Regional Manager for Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Master’s degree or higher in public health/health management or a medical degree or a master’s degree in policy for health is required
- Minimum 15 years’ prior experience in implementing health system strengthening activities in the public and private sectors is required
- Experience in integrating health care for vulnerable populations is desirable
- Demonstrated experience in conducting major health projects or organizations
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing USAID-funded projects (preferred, not required)
- Proficient English and fluent Spanish writing/speaking skills required
- Colombian nationals are encouraged to apply
 Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) was previously titled Achieving Sustainability through Local Health Systems (ASLHS).
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.