The Johns Hopkins University Center for Communication Programs seeks qualified candidates for the position of Chief of Party-Mali Household and Community Health (HCH), to be based in Bamako, Mali. The anticipated five-year USAID Mali Household and Community Health project will strengthen the ability of individuals, families, households and communities to plan, finance and manage their own health in the target regions of Sikasso, Segou, and Mopti through increased capacity of Malians to plan, finance, and manage their own health at the individual, household, and community levels; as well as increased individual and household adoption of healthy behaviors and demand for and use of health services.
Specific duties & responsibilities of the role
The Mali HCH Chief of Party is a seasoned senior-level, bilingual leader with a proven track record of managing large and complex public health programs in the West Africa region, preferably in the Sahel. The COP will have overall responsibility for coordination of a broad range of social and behavior change and community mobilization activities targeting individuals, household and communities across three regions of Mali. S/he will possess deep applied experience in SBC; demonstrated abilities in leadership; strategic thinking; development of effective teams; and change management. S/he will possess experience and demonstrated success in strengthening SBC capacity within the public sector and local and international NGO partners. S/he will provide strategic direction for the project, proactively engaging a broad range of donors and implementers. S/he will have principal responsibility for representation of the project to USAID and the Government of Mali (GOM) and will cultivate open and collaborative management relationships with the management team at USAID/Mali as well as with other Mission-funded Activities.
· Advanced degree in public health or communication, preferred or commensurate experience
· At least 15 years’ experience in international health programming, strongly preferred, of which at least 8-10 years should include overseeing implementation of household-level demand generation and interpersonal communication interventions.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
· Senior-level management and leadership abilities; track record of building a shared vision for large and complex teams including technical, administrative and finance staff
· Previous experience as a USAID COP or DCOP on a similarly sized project
· Ability to lead large and complex activities primarily focused on household- and community-level SBC, community mobilization, and community-driven accountability in health systems
· Strong understanding of the community health agenda in Mali or similar francophone African context, including solid complementary understanding of issues related to governance and financing in community health systems
· Experience designing and managing integrated or multi-health area SBC activities
· Technical knowledge of MCH, malaria, family planning, WASH and nutrition issues and best practices in these areas. Strong technical grounding in social and behavior change theory and approaches.
· Exceptional verbal and written communicator with strong abilities in both English and French; comfortable in presenting complex ideas to a wide range of audiences
· Demonstrated capacity to negotiate with multiple stakeholders with divergent perspectives
· Strong experience applying MEL systems to complex projects, including demonstrated ability to analyze data and present key takeaways in a clear, compelling manner to decision-makers; experience developing and implementing project learning agendas
· Proven ability to effectively engage partners and manage multi-partner consortia
· Ability to effectively oversee management of a large budget, with regular analysis and adjustment as required.
· Required experience interacting with U.S. government agencies including Missions, at the most senior levels. Strong USAID-funded cooperative agreement or contract management experience preferred.
· Deep understanding of Mali’s heath system context and challenges highly preferred
· Professional experience with health systems projects in fragile and/or conflict environments preferred, with demonstrated capacity to make well-informed decisions around staff security.
Extensive travel throughout the country and some travel internationally.
Several senior-level technical and administrative staff.