Save the Children is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated 3-year USAID-funded Marawi Response Project in Marawi, Lanao del Sur, Mindanao, the Philippines. The project will advance durable solutions for individuals displaced by the Marawi crisis in two main areas: 1) supporting local economic recovery and development; and, 2) strengthening social cohesion. This senior leadership position will provide overall strategic direction in the design, management, implementation and overall quality assurance of the project. S/he will also provide technical assistance on economic recovery/ development and social cohesion. The COP will be Save the Children’s primary point of contact with USAID and all relevant stakeholders. S/he will collaborate with relevant national, regional and local government offices including the Task Force Bangon Marawi and member agencies such as the Department of Interior and Local Government, Department of Labor and Employment, Department of Social Welfare and Development, Department of Trade and Industry, Mindanao Development Authority, Office of the Civil Defense, Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process, Regional Government of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, Provincial Government of Lanao del Sur, city government of Marawi and other local government units, etc. and other critical partners to provide high-level support for effective capacity building at the local level and sustainability of the project interventions. The COP will oversee a team of experts and support staff, prepare reports and annual operating plans, align project initiatives with in-country priorities and ensure the program is compliant with USAID and Save the Children regulations. The project must be designed to align closely with the current objectives of the Government of the Philippines so that activities are complementary and create sustainability.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
Leadership and Technical Guidance to Ensure High Quality Program is Delivered and Targets are Met (45%)
- Develop strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, and overall management of the program in line with USAID guidelines to achieve project objectives;
- Create and sustain a multi-cultural work environment with mutual respect where the project team strives to achieve excellence
- Lead efficient and effective implementation of the grant while ensuring high quality programming and that performance targets are met.
- Ensure proper selection of sub-recipients and/or program partners; review and recommend their proposals, operational plans and progress reports including budgets.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight for the program and ensures that the program team, including sub-recipients, are familiar with program design and targets agreed to in the performance framework.
- Ensure compliance with USAID regulations and procedures, including compliance with all special conditions and conditions precedent in the contract.
- Contribute to the wider achievement of goals for children under the overall context of Save the Children by participating in planning and coordination meetings as requested and when necessary.
- Seek and draw in the involvement of appropriate organizations and/or individuals whose participation is essential to program sustainability, and consequently lead in setting up of mechanisms and arrangements that engender institutionalized and sustained program implementation.
- Ensure that conflict-sensitive design is incorporated into all aspects of program management and implementation;
- Lead team to provide proper coordination and guidance among local government, country-wide initiatives, community partners, NGOs and other key stakeholders;
- Ensure that annual work plan, and all other quarterly and annual reports are produced and delivered on time.
- Prepare other written reports on program events and activities for the Country Director and USAID Account Manager as required.
- Closely monitor security dynamics in the project areas and report to the Chief Executive Officer on significant changes in the security context.
M&E and Research (10%)
- Lead development of good practice by supporting the development of strong M&E mechanisms and identify gaps in the standards of delivery.
- Ensure program monitoring tools and systems are in place to support high quality implementation by partners.
- Ensure timely submission of all project reports, documents, and program publications including scientific submission as necessary.
Financial and Grant Management, Budget Control (15%)
- Assume accountability over the control of expenditures, ensuring these are all within budgets.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant Save the Children administrative and financial policies and procedures.
- Direct appropriate implementation, oversight and monitoring of sub-grants to all sub-recipients, including ensuring flow down and compliance with SC and USAID regulations and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with SC and USAID regulations, and procedures, including compliance with all Special Conditions and Conditions Precedent in the Grant Contract.
Representation and Networking (20%)
- Lead team in ensuring proper coordination among/with sub-recipients, national level Technical Strategy Groups and other key stakeholders.
- Establish, maintain and strengthen active working relationships with local government authorities, other donors and partner agencies.
- Represent Save the Children with partners and key stakeholders, maintain positive relationships with USAID, local ministries, and the country office team;
- Establish effective communication and coordination with personnel from the government in order to implement interventions and incorporate country-wide priorities;
- Actively participate as a member of the Country Extended Senior Management Team (ESMT), contributing to country strategic plans;
- Initiate and maintain partnership with other projects implemented in Marawi to ensure alignment and competitiveness of Save the Children
- Continuously scope for further funding for the program
- Influence partners and stakeholders to be fully compliant with Save the Children policies and guidelines to include Child Safeguarding, the Code of Conduct and Fraud.
Human Resources Management and Development (10%)
- Develop and support staff capacity to meet their responsibilities and facilitate appropriate professional development in line with overall HR plans.
- Ensure that staff are fully compliant with Save the Children policies and guidelines to include Child Safeguarding, the Code of Conduct and Fraud.
- Master’s Degree in relevant areas of expertise or international development is preferred; Bachelor’s Degree is required
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience designing, managing and implementing large and complex programs in this technical area
- At least five years of senior program experience working and living in a developing country; ideally within this region/country location
- In-depth knowledge of USAID approaches and regulations
- Prior experience as Chief of Party or Deputy COP preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations
- Creative problem solving skills with the ability to work effectively in resource-constrained environments is important
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of local language preferred
About the Organization
Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we are dedicated to ensuring every child has the best chance for success. Our pioneering programs give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. Our advocacy efforts provide a voice for children who cannot speak for themselves. As the leading expert on children, we inspire and achieve lasting impact for millions of the world's most vulnerable girls and boys. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. As a humanitarian agency, Save the Children is obliged to create and maintain an environment that aims to prevent the sexual exploitation and abuse of children and promote the implementation of its child safeguarding policy. All representatives of Save the Children – employees, volunteers, interns, consultants, Board members and others who work with children on Save the Children’s behalf – are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation.
Save the Children provides an attractive benefits package including competitive salaries, a matching retirement plan, health and welfare benefits, life insurance, an employee assistance program, generous time off and much more. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.