Position: Chief of Party, Media Strengthening Program for Mozambique
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Reports To: Director of Media Development Division
Division: Media Development
IREX is an international nonprofit organization providing thought leadership and innovative programs to promote positive lasting change globally. We enable local individuals and institutions to build key elements of a vibrant society: quality education, independent media, and strong communities. To strengthen these sectors, our program activities also include conflict resolution, technology for development, women and youth.
Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $60 million and a staff of over 500 professionals worldwide. IREX employs field-tested methods and innovative uses of technologies to develop practical and locally-driven solutions with our partners in more than 100 countries.
Summary of Position
IREX seeks candidates for Chief of Party to direct a media strengthening program in Mozambique. The USAID/Mozambique Media Strengthening Program (MSP) seeks to support the professionalization of journalists and empowerment of independent media in Mozambique, working both with individual journalists and media organizations in the capital, Maputo, as well as with local media outlets and community radio stations located throughout the country. The goals of the MSP are to improve the quality of information provided to citizens by state and non-state media and to enhance the capacities and financial viability of non-state, or independent, media organizations in Mozambique.
The Chief of Party will have overall responsibility for meeting program objectives, and will provide technical expertise in media sector strengthening and management and administrative oversight for the program. The position, which will be based in Maputo, is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Strategic and technical leadership, with responsibility to ensure all program objectives are met
- Oversight of programmatic, finance, and administrative functions
- Representation of program to donors, partners, stakeholders and counterpart organizations
- Leadership and management of staff
- Implementation of monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management processes
Skills and Qualifications:
- A Master’s Degree or higher in the relevant subject area(s), preferably in media, communication, public administration, or international development, is required.
- A proven record of excellent management, leadership, decision-making and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated international credibility as a leader on matters of media, communications or on other relevant subject area in developing countries.
- At least 10 years of senior level management experience on designing, implementing and managing large, complex democracy and governance projects in developing countries.
- At least five years senior level experience working in media, communications or in other democracy and governance programs in developing countries.
- At least 8 years of experience living or working in a developing country.
- Effective English oral and written communication skills; ability to interact professionally in both English and Portuguese is required.
- Ability to navigate politically sensitive terrain and maintain constructive relationships with a diverse set of key stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and transmit his/her vision to partners and colleagues.
- Experience in managing USAID and/or other donor-funded projects strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to understand and respond quickly to complex programmatic challenges
- Demonstrated ability to ensure adherence to budgets
Go to http://www.irex.org/careers and click on Current Openings. Then click on the corresponding position and apply through our website. Please supply a resume and a cover letter with your application.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE