Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on malaria vector control and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through malaria vector control and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic.
Under the supervision of the VCTO1 Technical Program Manager, based in Bethesda, MD (USA), the COP/Medical Entomologist will provide leadership and management oversight to the PMI VectorLink Project in Nigeria.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Work with the subcontracting institution on entomological monitoring in selected sentinel sites in Nigeria.
- Help maintain a mosquito colony from a Kisumu strain and an animal house to feed the mosquito colony. Ensure the colony has enough mosquitoes to run all susceptibility tests and different experiments on adult mosquitoes as required by the NMEP. Where necessary, maintain a population of local field- collected mosquitoes for various tests as required.
- Train entomology technicians from the NMEP on mantaining mosquito colonies in an insectary, different sampling techniques for mosquitoes (both adult and larvae) in sentinel sites, train technicians on identification, storing and transport of mosquito samples from the field to the insectary,ensuring the transfer of technical skills to local institutions.
- In collboration with NMEP:
- Help to maintain and expand sentinel sites for the enhanced entomological monitoring in different states. In collaboration with the subcontracting institutions, ensure that field monthly collection of entomological data on vector bionomics, mosquito behavior, and insecticide resistance at the identified sentinel sites completed on time.
- Test the impact of vector control interventions, such as the efficacy and durability of long lasting insecticide treated nets and indoor residual spraying, and help establish a strong monitoring and evaluation system in order to establish the entomological and epidemiological impact of vector control interventions on malaria transmission.
- In collaboration with the NMEP and partners work on national entonmological monitoring plan and any other vector control policy documents.
- Work on the annual budget, and manage the budget in collaboration with other Abt Associates partners.
- Conduct weekly phone calls with the Techncial Program Manager and VCTO1 team on the insectary and field entomological activities.
- Write a Progress Report and Final Report in English on all the field entomological activities activities, recommendations for the NMEP sentinel sites, and vector control.
- Work with the NMEP and VCTO1 on procurement of local and international entomology supplies and clearing the goods at arrival in country. Maintain an inventory list for VCTO1. Serve as Abt’s representative in-country for donor meetings as needed.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Masters degree (minimum), Doctorate degree (desirable), in Medical Entomology.
- 7 to 10 years of relevant professional work experience with a Masters Degree, or 4 to 6 years with a Doctorate, including significant amounts of experience directly realted to establishing an insectary and mosquito colony.
- Experience in training entomology technicians on entomological monitoring and field activities.
- Strong management and planning skills of an insectary and sentinel sites.
- Experience working with National Malaria Control Programs
- Experience with USAID and donor projects is highly desirable.
- Demonstrates leadership and team work and produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner and has excellent writing skills.
About the OrganizationAbt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development.
Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients.
Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion.
Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations.
Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas.
In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Bethesda, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com