We are currently accepting applications for Chief of Party (COP) for a likely USAID local governance project in Nepal.
The purpose of the anticipated local governance project is to support the Government of Nepal’s (GoN) transition to a federal system with devolved authorities to enhance access and utilization of equitable, quality state services, with a focus on accountability, inclusive participation, and conflict mitigation. The project has three objectives: 1) to support the GoN to create sound policies and legislation that empower, finance and regulate provincial and municipal governments; 2) to support provincial and municipal governments to become more responsive, accountable, transparent and effective; 3) to strengthen citizens and civil society organizations in the target municipalities to become more involved in local decision-making and oversight. This project has an anticipated duration of period of six years – a two year Base Period and four one-year Options,
Chief of Party
The Chief of Party (COP) will be the primary liaison with USAID on technical matters and shall adjust programs and operations in response to USAID technical direction. The COP shall be responsible for responding to the designated COR and USAID/Contracting Officer. The COP shall also be responsible for ensuring quality control and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance provided under the award. The COP’s primary responsibilities are aimed at providing overall leadership management and general technical direction of the entire program, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the award. This individual will be expected to identify issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner, and suggest appropriate program adjustments. The COP will be based in Kathmandu.
The following are minimum requirements for the COP:
- An advanced degree (master’s or higher) in social sciences, international development, urban planning, business administration, or another relevant field.
- A minimum of 10 years professional experience in development at a senior program management level, including direct supervision of professional and support staff. Prior service as a USAID Chief of Party and with projects of comparable scale and complexity strongly preferred.
- At least 5 years developing country work experience, with experience in Nepal preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively with national and sub-national governments and entities in developing contexts, and in managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple partner institutions.
- Experience in delivering all or some of the substantive activities anticipated to be the focus of the project SOW such as: strengthening of the decentralization enabling framework, local government capacity building, improving municipal infrastructure and service delivery, increasing citizen participation and engagement.
- Experience designing, awarding, and managing grants preferred, particularly in-kind and small grants.
- Proven exceptional leadership in the design, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of donor-supported programs of comparable size and complexity, with skills in high level strategic visioning and leadership, and preferably must have experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) in English.
- Strong communication skills, including interpersonal and in written and oral English.
- S/he must have the proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and the ability to lead multidisciplinary teams.
About the Organization
The Louis Berger Group, Inc. is an internationally recognized consulting firm that provides engineering, architecture, program and construction management, environmental planning and science, and economic development services. We are a devoted and trusted partner to federal, state, and local government agencies; multilateral institutions; and commercial industry. To this diverse client base we bring strategic vision and an entrepreneurial spirit, developing innovative solutions to some of the world’s most challenging problems. Integrated Development (ID), a division within Louis Berger, offers a multi-disciplinary approach to international development.