Chief of Party, Nepal
Save the Children is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded Improved Disaster Risk Management (Tayar Nepal) program in Nepal. The program focuses on strengthening disaster risk management capacity and institutions in Nepal in a way that is inclusive, makes use of known best practices and technological innovations, and is adaptive to changing circumstances. Tayar Nepal will work in 5 – 10 municipalities including those located in USAID’s “zone of influence”, the earthquake zone, and municipalities outside the Kathmandu valley that have demonstrated results from previous USAID-supported DRM activities. This senior leadership position will provide overall strategic direction in the design, management, implementation and overall quality assurance of the project. S/he will also provide technical assistance on disaster risk management (DRM). The COP will be Save the Children’s primary point of contact with USAID and all relevant stakeholders. S/he will collaborate with the Ministry of Home Affairs and/or National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDRRMA) and other critical partners to provide high-level support for effective capacity building at the state and local level and sustainability of the project interventions. The COP will oversee a team of experts and support staff, prepare reports and annual operating plans, align project initiatives with in-country priorities and ensure the program is compliant with USAID and Save the Children’s regulations. The project must be designed to align closely with the current objectives of the Government of Nepal so that activities are complementary and create sustainability.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
- Develop strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, and overall management of the program in line with USAID guidelines to achieve project objectives;
- Ensure high quality technical leadership and oversight is in place for the program;
- Manage project consortium, including ensuring effective communication with all project partners, proactively identifying and resolving partnership issues and ensuring cohesion throughout project implementation;
- Lead team to provide proper coordination and guidance among local government, country-wide initiatives, community partners, NGOs and other key stakeholders;
- Support the development of strong M&E mechanisms, program monitoring tools and efficient systems to ensure high quality implementation;
- Establish compliance with USG regulations, procedures and Save the Children guidelines;
- Represent Save the Children with partners and key stakeholders, maintain positive relationships with USAID, local ministries, and the country office team;
- Establish effective communication and coordination with personnel from the government in order to implement interventions and incorporate country-wide priorities;
- Actively participate as a member of the Country Extended Senior Management Team (ESMT), contributing to country strategic plans;
- Assist Country Director (CD), Deputy CDs and Deputy Director, Program Development & Quality to identify needs and opportunities for project activities including designing and developing proposals for new opportunities;
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where the project team strives to achieve excellence;
- Incorporate SC’s vision and values and full adherence to Code of Conduct principles;
- Closely monitor security dynamics in the project areas and report to the Country Director on significant changes in the security context.
- Master’s Degree in relevant areas of expertise or international development is required; bachelor’s required.
- Minimum 10 years’ of professional experience designing, managing and implementing large and complex programs in this technical area;
- At least seven years of senior program experience working and living in a developing country; ideally within this region/country location;
- In-depth knowledge of USAID approaches and regulations;
- Prior experience as Chief of Party or Deputy COP preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations;
- Demonstrated skills in building relationships and networking with targeted stakeholders;
- Creative problem solving skills with the ability to work effectively in resource-constrained environments is important;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of Nepali preferred.
About the Organization
Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we are dedicated to ensuring every child has the best chance for success. Our pioneering programs give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. Our advocacy efforts provide a voice for children who cannot speak for themselves. As the leading expert on children, we inspire and achieve lasting impact for millions of the world's most vulnerable girls and boys. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours.