Abt Associates seeks a dynamic Chief of Party for the USAID Nepal Sajhedari STF project which aims to support the Government of Nepal in the transition from a unitary state to a federation of provinces and enhance citizen participation in and oversight of local governance through the following objectives:
- Objective 1: The GoN creates sound policies and legislation that empower, finance and regulate provincial and municipal governments
- Objective 2: Provincial and municipal governments in Province Five and Seven are more responsive, accountable, transparent and effective
- Objective 3: Citizens and civil society organizations in the target municipalities are more involved in local decision-making and oversight
The position is based in Kathmandu. Nepali, TCN, and expatriate applicants are encouraged to apply.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide management leadership (programmatic, financial and administrative) for the project ensuring full alignment with USAID rules and regulations
- Oversee the implementation of the project ensuring the achievement of all project deliverables and targets in a timely manner
- Lead development and technical design of the overall USAID Sajhedari STF project with the DCOP
- Effectively represent Abt and build and maintain excellent, productive relationships with USAID/Nepal, government counterparts, and relevant civil society organizations
- Provide vision and guidance to project staff
- Supervise and oversee the work of project staff, partners, and subcontractors
- Exercise sound financial management skills including effective project spending
- Uphold the standards of Abt Associates to lead a high performing team; ensure strict compliance to USAID and Abt’s policies, regulations and internal controls
- Guide the learning agenda for the project, use lessons learned to modify project approaches and strategies, and disseminate findings
- Create strong partnerships with other implementing partners working in Nepal including USAID partners
- Review technical materials to ensure high quality products
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Eight to ten years of progressively responsible work experience in fields related to local governance, de-centralization, community development and citizen engagement. Related work experience in similar positions of leadership such as a Chief of Party or a demonstrated track record of progressively responsible managerial experience implementing complex donor-funded projects with multiple activities.
- Demonstrated experience managing and leading a team of staff.
- Master’s degree in international development, business, economics, or related field of study
- Demonstrated management, leadership, political acumen, and related skills
- Ability to speak, write, and read English fluently is required
- Experience working and/or living in Nepal or another SE Asian country preferred.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.