Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. (Cardno) seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for an upcoming USAID-funded electrification program in Papua New Guinea (PNG). USAID, as a part of the PNG Electrification Partnership (PEP), aims to increase technical, financial, and organizational capacities of key energy sector institutions to bolster investment and private sector engagement in electrification expansion in Papua New Guinea. The activity will promote energy regulation, develop off-grid electrification models, improve domestic gas utilization, and catalyze private investment for energy projects in PNG.
The Chief of Party’s primary responsibilities are to provide overall leadership management and general technical direction of the entire project, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the contract/cooperative agreement. This individual will be expected to identify issues and risks related to project implementation in a timely manner, and suggest appropriate project adjustments. This person shall act as the key liaison between the USAID and all other counterparts and implementing partners involved with the project. The Chief of Party should have a community-oriented approach and demonstrable success applying innovative, sustainable solutions in challenging environments, as the position requires significant coordination skills, broad general and technical knowledge, and consistency under urgent deadlines.
- MS/MA (or equivalent) in a relevant field
- Five or more years of experience in international donor-funded program management, preferably including senior management experience at Chief of Party or equivalent level
- Ten or more years of experience in rural and off-grid electrification, electricity generation (specifically gas to power projects), private sector engagement, and human/institutional capacity development of energy sector entities
- Background, knowledge, and experience in gender equality or social inclusion/protection
- Ability to establish successful collaborative working relationships with a broad range of stakeholders, including other PEP donor partners (including Australia, New Zealand, Japan, World Bank, and Asian Development Bank), utility providers, government, private sector, government, and local organizations
- Previous experience in Papua New Guinea or the Pacific Islands region desired
- Excellent written and oral communications skills required
- Fluency in English required
Equal Opportunity statement for U.S. based applicants: Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the OrganizationCardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd., is part of Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division with international development assistance companies in Brisbane, Brussels, Jakarta, Melbourne, Nairobi, Oxford, Port Moresby, and Washington, DC. Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. was formerly Emerging Markets Group, Ltd. and brings nearly a 30-year history serving the objectives of bilateral and multilateral donors and private clients. The Emerging Markets Division brings together a broad range of experience and talent; a rich history of innovation, passion and commitment to international development and an established reputation for high quality demand and client driven services.
Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division manages more than $750 million in current contracts and grants, brings together over 90 years of collective experience, and engages over 3,700 professionals in more than 100 countries. Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division currently implements over 130 projects globally.