Winrock International is a recognized leader in U.S. and international development, providing solutions to some of the world’s most complex social, agricultural and environmental challenges. Inspired by its namesake Winthrop Rockefeller, Winrock’s mission is to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity and sustain natural resources. Winrock manages a portfolio of more than 100 environment, agriculture, and social development projects in over 40 countries. Winrock combines technical expertise with entrepreneurial innovation to improve lives around the globe.
Winrock is seeking an experienced and dynamic Chief of Party to lead, enhance and contribute to the transformative outcomes to achieve sustained results for the USAID funded Water Security and Resilience Activity in Niger and Burkina Faso.
The activity is part of the second phase of USAID’s Resilience In the Sahel Enhanced (RISE) project that has been implemented in Niger and Burkina Faso since 2012. The second phase, RISE II, continues the same efforts with the overall goal that chronically vulnerable populations in Burkina Faso and Niger, supported by resilient systems, effectively manage shocks and stresses and pursue sustainable pathways out of poverty.
The USAID Water Security and Resilience Activity addresses RISE II’s first objective to “Enhance social and ecological risk management systems” through three components:
- Improved water security.
- Enhanced sustainable productive land use.
- Improved management of shocks, risks and stresses.
The activity will be implemented in rural communes in the Centre-Nord, Est, and Sahel regions of Burkina Faso and in the Maradi, Tillaberi, and Zinder regions of Niger. A Deputy Chief of Party and project office is located in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso with the Chief of Party located in Niamey, Niger.
- Provide overall technical and managerial leadership to achieve the results of the Activity.
- Oversee and be responsible for financial and administrative aspects of the project including managing the budget.
- Supervise, support, and direct long- and short-term staff.
- Ensure compliance with USAID regulations and Winrock management policies.
- Monitor program indicators, evaluate program results and make recommendations for improvement in program implementation.
- Analyze project impact and challenges to adaptively manage the project to meet or exceed results.
- Ensure women and marginalized groups are beneficiaries of the project.
- Prepare annual work plans and progress reports, and monitor the implementation of these plans. Prepare and submit quarterly reports on progress of activities and achievement of program results to USAID.
- Interact directly and on a regular basis with USAID and other stakeholders and work with the project team to coordinate with complementary USAID and donor projects.
- Participate in regular field visits to implementation areas to assure progress towards the expected objectives and goals.
- Coordinate and communicate on a regular basis with Winrock’s Home Office.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Master’s degree required in management, international development, or other relevant field (water supply and sanitation, water management, agriculture, land management, natural resource management, climate change adaptation, or other relevant area of technical expertise).
- Minimum 15 years of professional experience implementing complex international development programs required including at least 8 years of experience managing water, land management or climate change adaptation programs.
- Demonstrated capabilities in institutional capacity building, high-level strategic visioning and leadership, and working effectively with local, regional and central-level government authorities, with USAID or other development partners and with civil society is required.
- Experience in the Sahel region is required.
- Creative thinker with strong technical understanding of water security, land use planning and climate change adaptation.
- Energetic and dynamic approach to building partnerships and promoting innovative program initiatives.
- Demonstrated leadership, management, organizational and decision-making skills as well as professional maturity, versatility, discretion, service and integrity.
- Ability to diplomatically supervise staff and coordinate programs with partners from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to build coalitions and networks that can provide synergies and sustainable solutions for water security, resilience and climate change adaptation.
- Must be comfortable in high-level representational role as well as interacting with beneficiaries.
- Strong communication skills.
- Fluency in both written and oral English and French is required.
About the Organization
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.