Job DescriptionThe goal of the USAID Rwanda Nguriza Nshore program is to increase off-farm employment opportunities for rural Rwandans by alleviating constraints to entrepreneurship and increasing access to finance. Nguriza Nshore specifically aims to invest in small to medium SMEs that support the agricultural sector and add value to agricultural commodities, such as those firms that provide storage, processing, transportation, or leasing of farming implements. To unlock private investment and create off-farm jobs, it is anticipated that Nguriza Nshore will focus on four areas of opportunity: 1) Expanding the capacity of the financial sector to accurately assess risk and return; 2) Increasing the reach of entrepreneurship support organizations; 3) Increasing the capacity of firms to attract and use finance; and 4) Reducing barriers to entry for new financial institutions and investment flows. This will be a five-year program (3-year base plus one 2-year option period) operating across Rwanda•s Feed the Future zones of influence.
The Chief of Party (COP) will have overall responsibility for the project, including overseeing the implementation of project activities and serving as the primary liaison with USAID/Rwanda and key stakeholders, including Government of Rwanda (GOR) counterparts. Additional responsibilities may include:
- Providing overall leadership and general technical direction of the program, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors and a focus on achieving results.
- Lead a lean team of technical experts in SME financing, entrepreneurship ecosystems, business development services, non-traditional financing, and agribusiness market systems.
- Employ a facilitative, market-systems approach;
- develop and continuously adapt a project theory of change and associates workplan, identifying core indicators and learning questions.
- Compellingly translate an overarching project vision to internal and external stakeholders.
- Identifying issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner, and suggesting appropriate program adjustment
- Ensuring compliance of the project•s financial oversight and procedures in line with RTI•s established accounting principles as well as USAID rules and regulations.
- Managing any subcontracts and grants with local partners, ensuring quality and timeliness of deliverables.
- Establishing relationships with USAID and local counterparts, including GOR ministries, civil society organizations, the private sector, international donors, and other USAID-funded activities.
- Overseeing performance monitoring, evaluation, and learning to ensure all project targets are met or exceeded, making recommendations as needed to adapt and improve implementation.
- Master•s• degree in agribusiness, economics, business administration, finance, investment or related field.
- At least 10• years of progressively responsible experience in technical or management roles on projects (or within companies) that have documented impact in the area(s) of SME growth, off-farm (agribusiness or support services), access to finance, business development services/ business advisory services, investment facilitation, private sector development, or agricultural market systems development.
- Prior• experience as Chief of Party, Team Leader, Senior Technical Advisor or senior manager for projects of similar complexity and financial size.
- Previous• experience in East Africa preferred.
- Ability to• resolve sensitive and complicated work issues with senior-level country counterparts, donor representatives, and senior-level staff.
- Excellent• interpersonal and communication skills to develop and communicate a common vision to partners from different nationalities and cultural backgrounds and the ability to lead multidisciplinary teams is desirable.
- Demonstrated• experience managing administrative, procurement, hiring, recruitment, financial, and logistical aspects of project implementation is desirable, but not required.
- Excellent• writing and oral presentation skills in English are required.
About the OrganizationIDG Food & Agriculture