Democracy International, Inc. (DI) seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for its USAID-funded program in South Sudan, Systems to Uphold the Credibility and Constitutionality of Elections in South Sudan (SUCCESS) project. Through SUCCESS, DI is working to promote effective, inclusive, and accountable governance to enable the development of an increasingly stable South Sudan. The COP will be the primary representative and manager of all aspects of DI’s in-country presence. She/he will work closely with DI’s local and international partners and stakeholders. The position is based in Juba, South Sudan.
The Chief of Party’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing overall management of the USAID-funded program, contributing technical expertise and providing overall direction for DI’s support to civil society and other entities if applicable;
- Supporting DI’s South Sudan team and partners to implement program activities effectively;
- Managing all relationships with international organizations, donors, government representatives, civil society, and other relevant stakeholders;
- Managing and ensuring the effective operation of DI’s compound and offices including overseeing all international and national staff;
- Ensuring compliance among staff and partners with DI and USAID policies and procedures;
- Overseeing monitoring and evaluation of projects and the development of reports for donors;
- Reviewing and overseeing financial management and administrative procedures, as well as recommending and overseeing implementation of changes/improvements in procedures;
- Managing and evaluating performance of staff to ensure program success;
- Overseeing staff capacity-building.
Candidates should possess the following qualifications:
- 10+ years of experience managing democracy, human rights, and governance (DRG) programs, with extensive experience in civil society;
- Experience implementing DRG programs in challenging political and diverse cultural environments;
- Experience living and working in conflict environments, preferably in South Sudan;
- Experience working with and advising civil society groups and government officials;
- Experience in all aspects of project management, including financial oversight, personnel management and development;
- Experience acting as a interlocutor with local and national governments and international organizations;
- Experience and demonstrated familiarity with USAID regulations and procedures – including the Federal Acquisitions Regulations;
- Professional fluency in English. Juba Arabic speaking candidates will be favorably considered;
- An advanced university degree in a relevant field is preferred.
Please submit your resume and cover letter. We will only contact those candidates who best meet our needs. No phone calls or additional emails please. DI will evaluate applications on a rolling basis. The successful applicant will be expected to deploy within three weeks of receiving an offer.
About the Organization
Democracy International, Inc. (DI) provides technical assistance, analytical services and project implementation for democracy, human rights, governance and conflict mitigation programs worldwide for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. State Department and other development partners. Since its founding in 2003, Democracy International has worked with civil society organizations, political parties, election-management bodies, government agencies, legislatures, justice-sector institutions, and others in 70 countries. DI is an equal opportunity employer.