DI is seeking a Chief of Party (CoP) to provide technical, programmatic, and management leadership in the event of project award of the PCEP project to DI. The PCEP project, a follow-on to DI’s current SUCCESS project, aims to support USAID in South Sudan to promote community level conflict mitigation, citizen engagement, and peace building initiatives through quick-acting activities.
The position would be based in Juba, South Sudan, and would be contingent upon project award to DI.
Please note that the solicitation for this project has not yet been released. DI will contact qualified candidates upon solicitation release.
- Oversee the DI project and team in country while serving as the primary point of contact with USAID/South Sudan regarding to day-to-day implementation and management of the cooperative agreement. Work closely with USAID’s COR and other field staff to manage all awardees and activities;
- Provide overall technical vision, direction, leadership, and management for the project. Ensure quality control and the appropriateness of all activities under the project;
- Manage a diverse team of project staff throughout South Sudan, and provide technical assistance, as needed, to program partners, grantees, and beneficiaries;
- Oversee the management and implementation of financial tracking systems and coordinate and monitor project budgets to ensure all expenditures are in compliance with DI and donor regulations and within the scope of the program’s long-term budget;
- Develop regular reports and ongoing activity monitoring consistent with the requirements of DI’s cooperative agreement with USAID and with internal reporting requirements. Manage the preparation and presentation of all work plans, M&E plans, and reports;
- Represent DI externally at meetings, workshops, and other events; and
- Act as a key liaison with the host country government and USAID offices in South Sudan and Washington, DC in the areas of oversight, reporting, and compliance.
- Advanced university degree in international development, political science, management, or other relevant field;
- 8 to 10 years of experience in project support and oversight, including managing programs in transitional or developing environments, managing teams, grant-making, and budget oversight;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in democracy and governance, conflict mitigation, peacebuilding, , or related technical areas;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with USAID and U.S. State Department compliance and reporting requirements as well as a thorough understanding of the USAID and U.S. State Department regulatory environment;
- Experience in South Sudan highly desirable; Experience in East Africa;
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Professional fluency in English is required.
About the Organization
Democracy International, Inc. (DI) provides technical assistance, analytical services, project implementation, and monitoring and evaluation for democracy, human rights, governance, conflict mitigation, and other programs worldwide for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. State Department, and other development partners. Since its founding in 2003, Democracy International has worked with civil society organizations, political parties, election-management bodies, government agencies, legislatures, justice-sector institutions, and others in 70 countries. DI is an equal opportunity employer.