Abt Associates seeks a qualified Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID-funded, 5-year Tayar Nepal Improved Disaster Risk Management (DRM) project. The DRM project purpose is to strengthen disaster risk management capacity and institutions in Nepal in a way that is inclusive, makes use of known best practices and technological interventions, and is adaptive to changing circumstances. The support provided in this project will help the GON achieve its goal of more disaster resilient development.
We are looking for individuals who are committed to exceeding expectations and who strive to improve the lives of people worldwide. The Chief of Party is responsible for providing oversight and overall management of project staff, implementation of deliverables, and spearheading communications with the client under the following proposed components:
Component 1: Improving National Level Systems and Institutions
Component 2: Building Capacity at the Municipal Level
Component 3: Support to Strengthen Disaster Response
The position is based in Kathmandu and Nepalese applicants are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide management leadership (programmatic, financial and administrative) for the project ensuring full alignment with USAID rules and regulations.
- Monitors the progress and pace of project implementation, assuring that the full potential of the program is realized through the promotion of high quality work ensuring the achievement of all project deliverables and targets in a timely manner.
- Effectively represent Abt and build and maintain excellent, productive relationships with USAID/Nepal, government counterparts, and relevant civil society organizations.
- Collaboratively create and implement a strategic, long-term programmatic vision;
- Provide vision and guidance to the project staff.
- Supervise and oversee the work of project staff, partners, and subcontractors.
- Exercise sound financial management skills including effective project spending.
- Uphold the standards of Abt Associates to lead a high performing team; ensure strict compliance to USAID and Abt’s policies, regulations and internal controls.
- Guide the learning agenda for the project, use lessons learned to modify project approaches and strategies, and disseminate findings.
- Create strong partnerships with other implementing partners working in Nepal including USAID partners.
- Review technical materials to ensure high quality products.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s degree in relevant fields in international development
- Minimum 10 years of technical and/or managerial experience with donor-funded development programs focused on disaster risk management, emergency preparedness, municipal and local governance, policy reform.
- Sound technical understanding of inclusive disaster risk reduction policies, risk management systems and development programming in South Asia, preferably Nepal;
- Experience as Chief of Party, Country Director or Team Leader for an international donor-funded project.
- Demonstrated experience interacting with government agencies, civil society counterparts, and international donor agencies; USAID experience preferred;
- Experience working in South Asia, Nepal experience preferred;
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills and fluency in English required
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com