The goal of the USAID Trade Central Asia (TCA) Activity is to improve region-wide trade connectivity and harmonization to accelerate economic growth and increase economic opportunity in 5 Central Asian Countries (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan), as well as connectivity with Afghanistan. The TCA Activity will facilitate strengthening of key institutions, regional standards and regulations that support trade activities.
Purpose of Position
The Chief of Party is responsible for the overall technical and administrative leadership of the project. S/he is the primary liaison with USAID/Central Asia and all other stakeholders and organizations. The COP will take a leadership role in coordinating ensuring that all objectives, cross-cutting teams, and operations teams are working in tandem and that there is close coordination with USAID/Central Asia, other donors, the private sector, government institutions, and local and international organizations. Activities performed will cover Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.
Duration: The Trade Central Asia Activity is projected for 5 years
Location: Almaty, Kazakhstan
Reports to: Home Office Project Director
Roles and Responsibilities
Management of Planning, Implementation and Monitoring Activities
· Understand, build consensus, and continually refine the vision guiding implementation of the project.
· Working closely with the Deputy Chief of Party, develop and oversee the implementation of annual work plans with team members, identifying changes as necessary and building client and key stakeholder buy-in at all stages of the process
· Identify and develop mitigation strategies for potential future problems in time to ensure that preventive measures can be taken.
· Actively draw on lessons learned from project monitoring and evaluation to continually improve performance and identify required changes to approaches and work plans
· When appropriate, recommend and build the case for changes in project objectives and/or contract scope of work.
· In the context of proposed methodologies and approved work plans, provide intellectual, strategic leadership, technical input and management support to achieve contractual objectives and targets in all project activities.
· Represent the project and Palladium in knowledge sharing of project innovations, lessons learned, and best practices.
· Oversee and take an active role in maintaining the overall technical quality and integrity of project deliverables and outputs.
Communications and Information Management
· Maintain effective and open communication throughout the project with Client, Project Director, project operations teams, and other relevant stakeholders.
· Actively build relationships with project partners and potential partners in the private sector, government, and civil society to advance project objectives and implement core methodologies
· Represent the Project to stakeholders and in public forums.
· Oversee the preparation of periodic reports to client on progress towards project objectives.
· Oversee the effective communication in a variety of media of project results, in close consultation with USAID; media may include videos, television/radio interviews, print media, and social media.
· Serve as the strategic leader of a diverse and talented project team, building on synergies and cultivating a positive environment for collaboration, communication, and successful project implementation.
· Provide clear guidance to Objective Leaders and other project staff to focus and prioritize activities where they will have the highest likelihood of producing contractually mandated targets/results.
· Oversee the recruitment and hiring of new project staff, upholding ethical, transparent, and compliant processes.
· In support of Palladium safety and security standards, oversee in-country personnel, processes, and systems required to ensure the safety and welfare of the project field team and visiting consultants
· Cultivate a positive and motivating environment for staff at all levels through communication, team building, and responsiveness
· Execute contract in compliance with contract provisions.
· With the support of the Project Operations team, oversee and maintain compliance in the management of contract finances (budget and funds), including grants under contract.
· Develop input for and guide response to audit questions.
· Oversee and maintain compliance in commodity procurement, inventory, and general logistics.
· Oversee timely and orderly project close-down activities in close consultation with home office and Client.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Demonstrated experience leading and managing international development programs related to trade facilitation.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Advanced educational background and knowledge relevant for similar projects.
· Proven experience developing and finalizing high quality deliverables.
· Experience in the former Soviet Union, Central Asia, or other countries with similar challenges and legal and business environment.
· Proven expertise in support of trade connectivity, policy, and partnerships;
· Strong leadership, administrative, management, presentation, reporting, and communication skills;
· Ability to perform at a high level and apply diplomacy skills with a wide range of stakeholders (i.e., national, provincial, private sector, and NGOs).
- Fluency in English required, fluency in Russian preferred.
- Experience implementing regional programs preferred.