Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. (Cardno) seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for an upcoming USAID-funded institutional capacity building and agricultural market development program, the Agricultural Systems and Institutional Strengthening Activity The program aims to support Ugandan institutions on the journey to self-reliance by strengthening their capacity to drive improvements in the agricultural market system. The program will work closely with public and private sector organizations (including the Government of Uganda, apex organizations, producer associations, and economic policy bodies), improving business practices, supporting institutional reorganization and developing strategic plans.
A Chief of Party’s primary responsibilities are to provide overall leadership management and general technical direction of the entire activity, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the contract/cooperative agreement. This individual will be expected to identify issues and risks related to implementation in a timely manner, and suggest appropriate adjustments. This person shall act as the key liaison between stakeholders in USAID/Uganda and in the public and private sectors. The Chief of Party will have demonstrable success in leading large teams and applying innovative, sustainable solutions in market facilitation, agricultural development, and capacity building. The Chief of Party will be required to:
- Design and lead technical understanding of USAID agricultural market development and institutional strengthening/capacity building activities
- Ensure all services are aligned and delivered according to the guidelines established by USAID and Cardno
- Supervise a team across varied technical disciplines to include agribusiness, market systems development
- Serve as a primary point of contact and liaise with USAID, government stakeholders, private sector and other local partners, as required by the project, to coordinate activities and facilitate monitoring and reporting of project objectives and achievements
- Review deliverables for completeness, accuracy, and continuous quality improvement
- Participate in the development of the project strategic and operational plans, and oversee the development and successful implementation of annual work plans
- Participate in and play a leading role in project reporting and analysis and use of strategic information
- Monitor project implementation, including internal and external client satisfaction, using best practices
- Ensure that the project consistently delivers timely results
- Identify issues and risks related to project implementation in a timely manner, and suggest appropriate project adjustments
- PhD or MSc/MA (or equivalent) in international development, agricultural development, agribusiness, or economics
- Ten or more years of experience in designing, managing, and implementing complex, donor-funded capacity building projects in developing countries, especially for Feed the Future-funded programs
- Demonstrated experience in market systems facilitation and political economy analysis
- Previous experience in managing partnerships with the private sector, large subcontracts, or grants under contract
- Previous experience working in Uganda, Eastern Africa, or Southern Africa
- Demonstrated ability to liaise and develop successful working relationships with key stakeholders, including USAID, and public, private, and civil society partners
- Excellent written and oral communications skills required
- Ugandan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply
- Fluency in English
Equal Opportunity statement for U.S. based applicants: Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Cardno is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, with specialist expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Cardno’s team includes leading professionals who plan, design, manage and deliver sustainable projects and community programs. Cardno is an international company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange [ASX:CDD].
Visit our website at www.cardno.com/internationaldevelopment - to learn more about Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd.