Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party candidates for an anticipated USAID-funded project in Burma designed to provide leadership training centered around scholarships in the U.S. to improve technical skills (including but not limited to economic affairs), promote tolerance of diversity, and advance Burma’s self-reliance. The Chief of Party with be based in Yangon and will oversee all programmatic aspects, ensuring that objectives are met on time and within budget.
Citizens of Burma are highly encouraged to apply. This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program and the team; provide dynamic and creative leadership to bring innovation to rigorous program implementation;
- Serve as the principal liaison with USAID, as well as with key government officials at the national and municipal level, other donors and implementers, private sector and civil society partners, program beneficiaries, and other stakeholders;
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and national government agencies and stakeholders;
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations, including CSOs;
- Ensure project activities are implemented on schedule and within budget;
- Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office;
- Oversee project budgeting, financial management, and compliance;
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities;
- Represent IREX publicly and support its organizational development;
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Higher education (master’s or doctorate degree) in Education, Economics, Public Administration, Business Administration, International Development, or a related field;
- At least eight (8) years of relevant experience including at least three (3) years as a Chief of Party/Country Director/Senior Manager of projects of similar scope and complexity;
- Experience working preferably in Burma or a similar developing country setting;
- Demonstrated experience and/or understanding of the Burmese and U.S. higher education systems;
- A proven record of excellent management, leadership, decision-making, and interpersonal skills to ensure internal coherence among diverse team members and sub- recipients; and
- Professional fluency in English in both written and oral communication. Ability to speak Burmese is preferred.
Go to https://app.jobvite.com/j?aj=oSDv9fwT&s=Devex to submit your CV for consideration.
About the Organization
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.