Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party candidates for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded program in the Central Asia which will strengthen civil society organizations across the region to better represent the interests of citizens and act both as an effective partner and, when necessary, hold the government accountable for being responsive to citizens’ needs and interests. The Chief of Party with be based in Kazakhstan, and will oversee all programmatic aspects, ensuring that objectives are met on time and within budget.
Citizens/residents of Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, or Uzbekistan are highly encouraged to apply. This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program and the team; provide dynamic and creative leadership to bring innovation to rigorous program implementation;
- Serve as the principal liaison with USAID, as well as with key government officials at the national level, other donors and implementers, private sector and civil society partners, program beneficiaries, and other stakeholders;
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations, including CSOs;
- Ensure project activities are implemented on schedule and within budget;
- Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office;
- Oversee project budgeting, financial management, and compliance;
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities;
- Represent IREX publicly and support its organizational development;
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- At least 10 years of progressive experience, including management experience, in international development, with experience working in Central Asia strongly preferred;
- At least five years of experience in a relevant technical position designing and implementing programs with a focus on strengthening civil society;
- Successful track record of designing, managing, and implementing complex regional donor-funded technical assistance projects (with strong preference for past USAID-funded project management experience);
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials, community officials, civic leaders, private sector leaders, international donors, and other stakeholders;
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives;
- Familiarity with the political, social, economic, and cultural context of Central Asia preferred;
- Strong representational and organizational skills;
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as International Development, Human Services, Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Economics, Social Sciences, etc.; an advanced degree in a related field is preferred;
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; proficiency in Russian and/or local languages a plus.
Go to https://app.jobvite.com/j?aj=oi1d9fwp&s=Devex to submit your CV for consideration.
About the Organization
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.