The USAD Mongolia Energy Governance program aims to support Mongolia increase their goal of electricity self-reliance through increased private sector investment for renewable energy and energy efficiency; adoption of innovative and modern technologies to improve grid performance; and improve the country’s planning, policy, and enabling environment to increase competitive procurement and affordability in Mongolia’s electricity sector. The USAID Mongolia Energy Governance program will be structured to include three major objectives and six cross-cutting priorities, including:
- Objective 1: Improve planning and operational performance of the electricity and heating system;
- Objective 2: Increase market competitiveness in the power sector; and
- Objective 3: Enable adoption of modern energy generation and management technologies.
The project also includes Cross-cutting priorities:
- Private Sector Engagement (PSE);
- Environmental Compliance and Climate Risk Management;
- Monitoring Evaluation and Learning;
- Sustainability; and
- Grants Under Contract.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Chief of Party (COP) to lead the USAID Mongolia Energy Governance Program. The COP will be responsible for collaboratively creating and implementing a strategic, long-term programmatic vision and for providing overall technical leadership and management for the program. S/he will be the main point of contact with USAID, public and private sector partners, other international organizations working in the energy sector, and Abt Associates’ home office. The position will be based in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia and is contingent upon project award.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Overall leadership, management, and strategic direction for the program;
- Serves as the primary liaison with USAID, other key US Governments organizations, private sector institutions, senior government officials and counterparts, and the donor community;
- Supervise the project’s technical team to ensure a focus on core results, achievements of annual work plan and targets, and timely/effective implementation;
- Monitors the progress and pace of project implementation, assuring that the full potential of the program is realized through the promotion of high-quality work and internal control;
- Responsible for all project deliverables and reporting; and
- Serve as the main point of contact with Abt Associates’ home office.
- An advanced degree in energy policy, environmental studies, engineering, business, or a related field;
- At least 12 years of experience leading energy policy, reform, and energy market development initiatives;
- Experience managing international development energy projects as a senior manager: Chief of Party or Team Leader experience preferred;
- Experience managing donor-funded projects in developing countries;
- Demonstrated ability to work and coordinate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders, including national governments, the donor community, private sector, civil society, and academia;
- Demonstrated experience working with the private sector, government institutions, regulators, utilities, financial institutions, and project developers;
- Demonstrated experience supporting governments develop policies in order to achieve energy and climate goals;
- Experience or knowledge of renewable energy auctions, reverse auctions, and other competitive procurement mechanisms;
- Knowledge of Mongolia’s energy sector and stakeholders is preferred but now required
- Good understanding of the regional economic and political context;
- Knowledge of Mongolia’s energy security and independence constraints including the country’s reliance on importing electricity from Russian and China is preferred but not required;
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomacy, and leadership skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships and motivate subordinates; and
- Fluency in English required; knowledge of Mongolian is preferred but not required.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.