Project and Position Description
The QED Group is seeking a Chief of Party candidate for the upcoming USAID-funded Nigeria Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Activity. This position will be full time and based in Abuja, Nigeria for an anticipated implementation period of five years
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Support Activity is a five-year activity to assist USAID/Nigeria in advancing its broader organizational learning and development efforts. This will be accomplished by further strengthening the Mission’s capacity and performance in programmatic monitoring, evaluation, learning, collaborating, and adapting. The MEL Support activity will closely align with USAID/Nigeria’s new Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) to be launched in the summer/fall of 2020. The MEL Support activity will provide a broad range of specialized technical assistance, training, data gathering and analysis, field-based monitoring, evaluations and assessments, facilitation of organizational learning and
adaptation initiatives, and short-term technical assistance.
This position is contingent on QED being awarded this project.
1. Program Management of Planning, Implementation, and Monitoring Activities
- Define the guiding vision of the project and build consensus with stakeholders
- Lead the development of the work plan with team members,
- Lead the implementation of activities within the work plan, and that activities are performed to a high professional standard.
- Identify issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate adjustments If appropriate in project objectives and/or contract scope of work
- Allocate contract resources, and ensure sound financial management including programmatic, budgeting, spending, projections, and monitoring of payments
- Anticipate potential future problems in time to ensure that preventive measures can be taken
- Reassess objectives, strategy, and/or plans
2. Personnel Management
- Manage staff to perform effectively toward project objectives, through communication, team building incentives, and responsiveness
- Create a positive working environment for all staff and ensure growth and professional development opportunities
- Conduct annual performance reviews and recommend/internally negotiate salary adjustments
- Ensure adequate and timely provision of contract-allowed benefits and allowances
- Deal with personnel issues and concerns of team members, ensuring their welfare and safety
3. Communications and Information Management
- Maintain communication with Client, team, home office, subcontractors and other relevant project organizations
- Communicate with interested individuals, organizations, stakeholders as needed
- Make formal and informal presentations on request by Client or as needed for other parties
- Prepare periodic reports to Client on progress towards project objectives
- Promote the project among Ministry/client department heads, professional groups, and other relevant people and networks
- Establish criteria, guidelines, and formats for project plans and reports
4. Contract Management
- Execute contract in compliance with contract provisions
- Manage contract and project finances (budget and funds)
- Recommend changes in contract and budget
- Develop input for and guide response to audit questions and client feedback
- Manage commodity procurement, inventory and general logistics
- Ensure high quality in fulfilling contract
- Represent QED by protecting its contractual interests
- Oversee the performance of partners/sub-awardees
- Carry out technical duties as needed
- Participate in effective information sharing and knowledge management
6. Other Duties and Responsibilities as Related to Assignment and Position
- Develop and maintain systems that promote the safety and security of all team members
- Support identification of growth opportunities in the region for QED and participate in business development as needed
- Other duties as requested by QED Management and/or Project Director.
- Master’s degree in applied international development, strategic planning, project design and implementation, or a related field
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive experience managing high-performing interdisciplinary teams in international development settings
- Minimum of five years serving as a Chief of Party and experience working in non-permissive environments and leading third party monitoring platforms
- Demonstrated leadership, strategic thinking/planning, management, and presentation skills.
- Strong multi-cultural, interpersonal and supervision skills. Experience working in settings similar background is required
- Especially charismatic, collaborative, professional credentials to be able to establish close, trustful relations for pursuing earnest organizational learning with, particularly USAID/Nigeria’s American and Nigerian senior professional staff and leadership, including the Mission Director’s Office.
- At least three years’ experience living and working in West Africa, preferably in Nigeria
- Knowledge of and experience with US Government (USG)-funded program management, policies, regulations, and procedures
- Fluency in English, written and spoken.
- Fluency in Hausa, Yoruba, or languages native to Nigeria desired
- Prior proven experience managing programs and partners with large grants and/or subcontracting mechanisms preferred
- Technical expertise in engaging the private sector and university resources in supporting local civil society development