The purpose of USAID’s Obirodh: Road to Tolerance Program is to identify and implement small grant activities that understand and challenge the drivers of violent extremism (VE) in Bangladesh. The program is built upon an active learning model that applies research and pilot community programs to test the existing thinking on how to prevent and counter violent extremism (P/CVE) to determine which approaches are most suited for Bangladesh. Although there is a growing body of PVE and VE research and literature, there is limited knowledge and understanding about the specific emerging trends and drivers within Bangladesh. The research will contribute to the design of pilot activities that will remain fast, collaborative, and innovative in addressing VE in Bangladesh.
The program initiated in the fall of 2017 and scheduled to end by the end of 2020. During the final half of implementation, Obirodh intends to focus working closely with local civil society organizations and government counterparts to enhance local understanding of VE and improve their capacity to independently prevent the spread of VE in Bangladesh.
MSI is seeking qualified Chief of Party (COP) candidates with expertise in countering violent extremism and conflict mitigation. The COP will be responsible for providing overall leadership and management of the program, as well as administrative, financial and technical oversight. S/he will be responsible for ensuring the completion of all tasks and objectives designated by USAID.
Team and Program Management:
- Oversee technical and managerial components of the project, including management of local staff.
- Provide strategic management vision, leadership, and skills to ensure effective and efficient performance for all aspects of the project.
- Ensure that all project departments are working in harmony to achieve the technical objectives and are in compliance with MSI and USAID policies.
- Work with the senior management team to continuously refine implementation processes by integrating lessons learned and best practices throughout the program.
- Supported by the Deputy Chief of Party for Programs, provide technical leadership to the Grants and Operations teams in the implementation of the program’s grants strategy.
- Oversee grants/activities in compliance with MSI and USAID policies and regulations and monitor grant implementation and ensure accurate financial management.
- Actively contribute to concept development and grantee outreach.
- Monitor grantee worthiness and ensure that all procurement processes are perceived are transparent by beneficiary communities, while assuring fair and transparent procurement processes
- Assure professional quality and timeliness of all written and oral products and reports produced by the project for USAID or other stakeholders as may be required.
- Serve as the main point of contact among USAID, the government of Bangladesh, counterparts and non-governmental stakeholders on program communications and technical implementation activities.
- Work with USAID/Bangladesh technical office personnel to design any required research/analyses/evaluation tools, pilot CVE activities and counternarrative efforts.
- Ensure the final delivery of all project results to USAID on time and within budget.
- Master’s degree in international development, political science, international relations, public/business administration or relevant field preferred.
- Ten (10) years of experience leading the implementation and management of large international development projects in the areas of democracy and governance or countering violent extremism.
- Experience leading large and diverse teams (research and analysis teams preferred).
- Demonstrated understanding of the financial and logistical procedures required to manage a large activity with multiple small sub-awards.
- Professional experience in Bangladesh or region desired.
- Experience related to conflict analysis, prevention, management, and mitigation.
- Familiarity with USAID rules and regulations (ADS, FAR).
- Track record of providing deliverables on time and within budget.
- Strong leadership and communication skills and ability to manage and be flexible in difficult and challenging circumstances; prior CoP experience preferred.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.