USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project is a horticulture value chain activity that addresses the key challenges of rural poverty, natural resource degradation, food insecurity, and under-nutrition. The market systems approach is applied in achieving increased productivity along key horticulture value chains that include vegetables, fruits and legumes. Through the promotion of sustainable production practices, increased functionality of farmer groups and associations, improved market linkages, and increased availability and access to quality agricultural inputs and services, including access to finance, the project is stimulating and supporting increased economic activity and growth in targeted rural communities and municipalities. Sustainability of these interventions is achieved by working to maintain sound policies and enabling environment relevant to the sector, as well as efforts to increase resilience to climate change and improve natural resource management as it relates to farm systems.
The project supports the Development Objective of the USAID/Timor-Leste Mission: institutional and human capacity for development strengthened to improve the lives of Timor-Leste’s citizens. The overall purpose of USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project is to accelerate inclusive and sustainable economic growth through increased productivity/profitability of the horticulture value chain and to support nutrition-smart agriculture interventions that support increased food production, agriculture income, and women’s empowerment.
The Chief of Party (COP) will be responsible for leading all aspects of contract performance, providing technical guidance to all tasks under the contract, and representing the Contractor’s activities as a whole to outside audiences. This individual will act as the key liaison between the relevant USAID Mission/Office and all other counterparts and implementing partners involved in the project. The COP should have strategic vision, leadership qualities, technical expertise, professional reputation, management experience, and interpersonal skills to fulfill the diverse managerial requirements of the project. The COP will manage the technical teams, ensuring coordination of goals and efforts across the entire project effort.
The Chief of Party will be required to:
- Design and lead technical implementation of the project, including ensuring a sustainable and inclusive market systems approach is applied on all interventions
- Ensure all services are aligned and delivered according to guidelines established by USAID and Cardno
- Supervise a team across a wide range of technical disciplines, including but not limited to climate smart agriculture, agricultural markets development, women’s economic empowerment, and nutrition.
- Liaise with the USAID Mission/Office, government stakeholders, private sector and other local partners, as required by the project, to coordinate activities and facilitate monitoring and reporting of project objectives and achievements
- Serve as a primary point of contact with local government officials, civil society organizations (CSOs) and other project stakeholders as needed
- Review deliverables for completeness, accuracy, and continuous quality improvement
- Participate in development of the project’s strategic and operational plans, and oversee the development and successful implementation of annual work plans
- Lead project reporting and analysis and promote the use of strategic information
- Monitor project implementation, including internal and external client satisfaction, using best practices
- Ensure that the project consistently delivers results on time, in keeping with required deliverables
- Identify issues and risks related to project implementation in a timely manner, and suggest appropriate project adjustments.
- Advanced degree in relevant field
- 8+ years of experience implementing and managing donor-funded projects with a market systems approach, with some Chief of Party/Team Leader/Project Director experience
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage a diverse team of employees, and empower host country staff in senior leadership position
- Ability to establish successful collaborative working relationships with a broad range of stakeholders, including private sector, government, local organizations, other donors, and media
- USAID experience preferred
- Strong project management experience, including grants management. Experience overseeing USAID project close outs preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and results leading technical areas of interest, such as agriculture, capacity building, value chain development, agribusinesses, women and youth
- Experience in transition or developing countries required
- Experience in South and East Asia (preferred)
- Excellent written and oral communications skills required
- Fluency in English required.
Equal Opportunity statement for U.S. based applicants: Cardno has a long-standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cardno is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, with specialist expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Cardno’s team includes leading professionals who plan, design, manage and deliver sustainable projects and community programs. Cardno is an international company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange [ASX:CDD].
Visit our website at www.cardno.com/internationaldevelopment - to learn more about Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd.