POSITION TITLE: Chief of Party, Water Security & Resilience
LOCATION: Niamey Niger or Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
REPORTS TO: Director, SWP or Water Unit
Winrock is a recognized leader in the field of multiple use water services, water security, and climate change adaptation, and implements worldwide a range of large USAID programs.
Winrock is seeking Chief of Party candidates for the upcoming USAID-funded RISE II Water Security & Resilience Activity. This Activity will implement in Burkina Faso and Niger and is meant to enhance social and ecological risk management systems so that “Chronically vulnerable populations in Burkina Faso and Niger effectively manage shocks and stresses and pursue sustainable pathways out of poverty.” This will be achieved through three components:
- Improved water security
- Enhanced sustainable productive land use
- Improved management of shocks, risks, and stresses
Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
- Provide overall technical and managerial leadership to achieve the results of the Activity.
- Oversee and be responsible for financial and administrative aspects of the project including managing the budget.
- Provide supervision, support, and direction to long- and short-term staff.
- Ensure compliance with USAID regulations and Winrock management policies.
- Monitor program indicators, evaluate program results and make recommendations for improvement in program implementation.
- Analyze project impact and challenges to adaptively manage the project to meet or exceed results.
- Ensure women and marginalized groups are beneficiaries of the project.
- Prepare annual work plans and progress reports, and monitor the implementation of these plans. Prepare and submit quarterly reports on progress of activities and achievement of program results to USAID.
- Interact directly and on a regular basis with USAID and other stakeholders. Also coordinate with complementary USAID and donor projects.
- Participate in regular field visits to implementation areas to assure progress towards the expected objectives and goals.
- Coordinate and communicate on a regular basis with Winrock’s Home Office.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Master’s degree required in management, international development, or other relevant field (water supply and sanitation, water management, agriculture, land management, natural resource management, climate change adaptation, etc.).
- Minimum 15 years of professional experience implementing complex international development programs required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing water, land management or climate change adaptation programs required.
- Demonstrated capabilities in institutional capacity building, high-level strategic visioning and leadership, and working effectively with civil society, local, regional and central-level government authorities and with USAID or other development partners is required.
- Technical and managerial experience in the Sahel region is required.
- Technical understanding of water security, land use planning and climate change adaptation.
- Energetic and dynamic approach to building partnerships and promoting innovative program initiatives.
- Demonstrated leadership, management, organizational and decision-making skills as well as professional maturity, versatility, discretion, service and integrity.
- Ability to diplomatically supervise staff and coordinate programs with partners from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to build coalitions and networks that can provide synergies and sustainable solutions for water security, resilience and climate change adaptation.
- Must be comfortable in high-level representational role as well as interacting with beneficiaries.
Strong communication skills, and fluency in both written and oral English and French is required.
Applicants should go to https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=2074204 and submit a current resume and cover letter referencing “Water Security and Resilience COP” by August 22, 2018.
About the Organization
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.