Save the Children is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated 5-year USAID-funded Youth Workforce Development for Bangladeshi Youth activity, to be implemented in the agricultural belt of southwestern Bangladesh. The envisioned workforce development activity will support youth’s skills development, forge linkages with the private sector to facilitate job placements, and create an enabling environment for women to engage in employment. Programming will focus on two sectors: food processing and light engineering.
The CoP is a senior leadership position. The position will provide overall strategic direction in the design, management, implementation and overall quality assurance of the project. S/he will also provide technical assistance on youth workforce development in the priority sectors. The COP will be Save the Children’s primary point of contact with USAID and all relevant stakeholders. S/he will collaborate with Ministry of Labour and Employment (MoLE), Ministry of Education (MoE), Ministry of Agriculture (MoA), Ministry of Industries (MoI) as well as few key bodies like National Skills Development Council (NSDC), Bangladesh Technical Education Board (BTEB), Bureau of Manpower , Employment and Training (BMET), SME foundation, Central Bank/other financial institutes and private sector as well as other critical partners to provide high-level support for effective capacity building at the local level and sustainability of the project interventions. The COP will oversee a team of experts and support staff, prepare reports and annual operating plans, align project initiatives with in-country priorities and ensure the program is compliant with USAID and Save the Children regulations. Activities must be designed to align closely with the current objectives of the Government of Bangladesh so that activities are complementary and contribute to sustainable outcomes.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
- Develop strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, and overall management of the program in line with USAID guidelines to achieve objectives;
- Oversee program administration, operations, implementation, and fiscal management to ensure financial activity aligns with budget allocations, internal policies, and donor regulations;
- Ensure high quality technical leadership and oversight is in place for the program;
- Ensure that conflict-sensitive design is incorporated into all aspects of program management and implementation;
- Lead team to provide effective coordination and guidance among local government, country-wide initiatives, community and private sector partners, NGOs and other key stakeholders;
- Support the development of strong M&E mechanisms, program monitoring tools and efficient systems to ensure high quality implementation;
- Establish compliance with USG regulations, procedures and Save the Children guidelines;
- Represent Save the Children with partners and key stakeholders, maintain positive relationships with USAID, local ministries, and the country office team;
- Establish effective communication and coordination with personnel from the government in order to implement interventions and incorporate country-wide priorities;
- Actively participate as a member of the Country Extended Senior Management Team (ESMT) and other appropriate forums, contributing to country strategic plans;
- Oversee the program’s operational and analytical research, coordinate the publication and dissemination of results and ensure that research informs advocacy;
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where the project team strives to achieve excellence;
- Ensure reports, work plans, and other program deliverables are timely and of high quality;
- Incorporate SC’s vision and values and full adherence to Code of Conduct principles;
- Identify and effectively manage all key risks related to the program, including compliance with donor transparency and due diligence requirements;
- Closely monitor security dynamics in the program areas and report to the Country Director on significant changes in the security context.
- Other responsibilities that may be assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Business or Social Sciences, preferably in Economics, Business Administration, Workforce Development, Development studies, or similar is preferred; Bachelor’s Degree is required;
- Minimum 10 years’ of professional experience in designing, managing and implementing large and complex workforce development and positive youth development programs;
- At least five years’ experience in a senior management position, preferably in South Asia, including managing budgets and personnel, motivating and supervising team efforts in a complex and demanding environments; demonstrated ability to manage a medium-to-large team, dispersed across a wide geographic area, implementing a multi-faceted project;
- Prior experience in working with technical vocational education and training institutes, higher education institutions, or skills development service providers, and brokering partnerships with the private sector;
- Some understanding of food processing and light engineering sub-sector dynamics;
- Understanding of youth and employment issues in Bangladesh, including a history of positive working relationships with Bangladesh government institutions, and knowledge of Bangladeshi counterparts, individuals, and organizations active or interested in youth training and employment issues are highly desirable;
- In-depth knowledge of USAID approaches and regulations;
- Prior experience as Chief of Party or Deputy COP preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations;
- Commitment to inclusive programming that encourages full participation of individuals regardless of gender, disability status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or other marginalized status.
- Creative problem solving skills with the ability to work effectively in resource-constrained environments is important;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of Bengali preferred.
About the Organization
Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we are dedicated to ensuring every child has the best chance for success. Our pioneering programs give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. Our advocacy efforts provide a voice for children who cannot speak for themselves. As the leading expert on children, we inspire and achieve lasting impact for millions of the world's most vulnerable girls and boys. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours.