Position: CHIEF OF TEAM (COT)
Nationality: American National (AN) or Third Country National (TCN) Base of
Operations: Kabul, Afghanistan
Required Clearance: Moderate Risk Public Trust (MRPT)
DIRECTLY REPORTS TO: Program Implementer
Tetra Tech seeks candidates to be considered for CHIEF OF TEAM (COT) position on the INL-funded Justice Sector Support Program (JSSP ) in Afghanistan.
JSSP’s primary objective is to support the development of an Afghan professional cadre that is capable of sustaining, equipping, managing, and enabling its own criminal justice organizations. JSSP provides training and capacity building for Afghan officials in the Ministry of Justice (MOJ), Attorney General’s Office (AGO), Supreme Court (SCt), Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA), and other justice sector organizations. The project has three main components:
Case Management System (CMS): CMS is an online application designed to track criminal and civil cases. The CMS is intended to harmonize and interlink justice institutions to effectively perform their functions.
Organizational Capacity Building (OCB): This component focuses on capacity building for justice institution personnel and ensuring that justice institutions are able to fulfill their mandates and operate independently.
Legislative Capacity Building (LCB): JSSP’s efforts in LCB contribute to ensuring that laws and related documents are coherent, comply with the Constitution, treaties and conventions, and incorporate internationally recognized standards for the protection of women and vulnerable groups.
Duties: The Chief of Team (COT) shall be the primary point of coordination for contract implementation in country. The COT shall interface directly with INL/Kabul and the COR to ensure effective contract management. The COT shall coordinate with the Deputy Chiefs of Team (DCOTs) to establish and implement technical and operational activities on the contract. The COT shall:
- In coordination with the Program Implementer, provide direction on all program matters with a full understanding of JSSP activities
- Be responsible for the successful implementation of project activities and achievement of contract obligations
- Be responsible for the day-to-day operations and management of the team and ensure that project activities and work products are of excellent quality, completed on-time and in compliance with client regulations
- Maintain frequent communication and interaction with the U.S. Embassy, INL/Kabul and INL/AP, the international community, and the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GIRoA) counterparts
- Ensure that JSSP maintains a positive working relationship with INL/Kabul and GIRoA counterparts
- Conduct meetings to further JSSP programmatic delivery at both the U.S. Embassy/INL-Kabul and GIRoA ministries and departments as permitted by security protocols
- Maintain constant communication with the Tetra Tech Home Office and ensure project compliance with Tetra Tech policies
- Directly manage and evaluate the performance of the DCOTs and their oversight of the AN/TCN Advisors and program components
- Be responsible for all program reports and deliverables sent to INL/Kabul and INL/AP
- Have overall responsibility for implementation of the Work Plan and monitoring progress per the PRO Plan, Monitoring and Evaluation Matrix, DevResults indicators, and other performance monitoring tools
- Work with INL to identify staffing issues, develop plans to correct problems, and to initiate changes in consultation with the Embassy and/or INL
- Assist in identifying and screening short-term and long-term candidates for the JSSP
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A minimum of eight years of experience in senior management roles that included strategic planning, program management, resource management and budgeting
- A minimum of seven years of experience in rule of law development
- A minimum of four years of experience in personnel management
- A minimum of two years of experience in managing complex, international programs of comparable scope to JSSP
- The candidate should demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the formal Afghan Justice system, with a particular emphasis on the coordination and interaction of the Afghan justice ministries
- A juris doctor or Master’s degree from an accredited institution. Juris doctor degree is preferred
- Willingness to endure austere living conditions and the inherent danger of living and working in Afghanistan, including possibly living in tents, double bunks, dry hooches, etc.
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. In addition, he or she must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
- The COT must be able to cite past professional or personal experience that demonstrates an ability to work creatively and effectively in stressful situations while maintaining a positive attitude
- The COT must have experience developing positive, professional relationships with clients, colleagues, or business partners. Interpersonal and leadership skills are tremendously important as they ensure that the COT can work as an effective leader of the team, forge successful partnerships with Afghan government officials, and set a positive, motivating and constructive tone for JSSP staff. Superior interpersonal skills shall be understood to include the ability to interact and lead in a constructive, cooperative, and harmonious manner; to work effectively as a team player; to establish positive relationships and gain the confidence of others
- The COT must demonstrate the highest caliber communication skills, including oral briefing abilities, and the ability to draft clear, precise written statements. Oral briefing and writing skills are critical in ensuring that the COT is capable of communicating relevant events and necessary action items
- The COT shall have strong personal references and no unexplained departures from overseas assignments
Please submit a cover letter and resume to ApplyJSSP@tetratech.com referencing the job title and project name in the subject line. No phone calls, please
About the Organization
Tetra Tech is a global, leading consulting firm providing practical and sustainable international development services. From promoting peace, stability, rule of law, and economic growth, to health and education, to improved natural resource management, Tetra Tech brings an integrated approach that is focused on building the capacity of communities and individuals to create strong, healthy, and resilient societies. With over 16,000 employees in over 400 offices across the globe, Tetra Tech’s capabilities encompass the full life cycle of solutions. Tetra Tech is committed to diversity and gender equality in all of its operations, both in the US and overseas. We strive to reflect these goals in our global mission and in our workforce. We encourage applications from women and underrepresented ethnic, racial, and cultural groups. Tetra Tech is proud to be an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.