Division Chief of the Knowledge and Learning Division
Knowledge, Innovation, and Communication Department (KIC)
Inter-American Development Bank
The main function of the Knowledge, Innovation and Communication Department is to: (i) help the IDB Group to identify, build, apply, and disseminate high-quality knowledge as well as to develop and use learning products that enable the building of technical and general competencies; (ii) promote an internal culture of innovation by providing experience, networks, and methodologies and expediting the adoption of innovative solutions; and (iii) expand the audience that uses the Bank’s products and position the brand through internal and external communication. The IDG Group includes the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), the Inter-American Investment Corporation (IIC/IDB Invest) which is committed to development through the private sector, and the Multilateral Investment Fund (MIF), which is an innovation lab for the Group.
The Knowledge and Learning Division provides clients with guidance and tools to capture, generate, manage, and use knowledge, and will support the planning and development of learning products. Within this Division, the Inter-American Institute for Economic and Social Development (INDES) will be responsible for the learning area.
Our Department is currently looking for a strategic, operational, people leader and highly motivated individual to head its Knowledge and Learning Division, reporting directly to the Knowledge, Innovation and Communication Manager.
The Division’s activities include:
- Supporting the knowledge flows within the Bank and working closely with clients to identify opportunities to capitalize on this knowledge;
- Supporting the capture of lessons learned from operational work and promoting their systemization;
- Providing methodologies for strategic knowledge planning;
- Serving as a liaison to other KIC Divisions and Units to ensure alignment of support and access to tools that promote knowledge flows, and to the communication and data teams;
- Identifying potential knowledge and learning synergies both inside and outside the Bank, and promoting partnerships with relevant partners aimed at connecting demand to the existing supply of knowledge;
- Facilitating access to learning opportunities through the crafting, delivery, and evaluation of learning programs and activities.
What you’ll do:
- Provide methodologies, tools and approaches to facilitate the creation, capture and dissemination and use of knowledge produced by the Bank.
- Provide strategic guidance for clients to identify opportunities to capture lessons learned emerging from their work to promote systemization of knowledge from Bank operations, and promote opportunities to explore potential areas of knowledge creation for clients
- Provide advisory support in the capture of knowledge to help clients plan, create and refine their knowledge products
- Identify potential learning and knowledge synergies within and outside the Bank to facilitate collaboration regarding the production and dissemination of knowledge and learning products
- Provide support to the design, delivery, and monitoring of methods, tools, and online / in-person learning activities for IDBG employees and strategic partners.
- Advise Management on the development of strategies, initiatives, policies and guidelines for the Bank and borrowing member countries in the areas of knowledge and learning.
- Work in close collaboration with the other KIC Divisions and Units, to leverage efforts, skills and resources.
- In coordination with the Client Relations Unit provide services in support of clients’ KIC plans with efficacy and efficiency.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Division, comprised of highly skilled interdisciplinary and multicultural staff, located in Washington D.C. and in Country Offices in LAC.
- Lead, manage, mentor, and assess the Division’s staff and provide goals and expectations, feedback and technical mentorship to optimize performance. Ensure that workplace practices and behaviors comply with IDB’s policies related to ethics and respect in the workplace.
- Align Division plans with the broader goals and strategies of the Bank as well as the planning of the Division’s resources to deliver results against business plans. Assume responsibility for the delivery of high quality products and/or services on schedule and budget.
What you’ll need:
Education: Master’s degree or equivalent “Licenciatura”/advanced degree in Knowledge Management, Information Management, Social Sciences, Business Administration, Economics, Finance or equivalent discipline (Ph.D. preferred).
- At least 10 years of relevant experience related to the key responsibilities of the position.
- Proven experience in LAC is strongly preferred. Strong technical background and proven management track record.
- You should be recognized as an authority among peers in your specific discipline. Peer-reviewed publications (journals or books) in the area of knowledge management and learning are a plus.
- Experience handling multi-disciplinary and/or cross-sector teams, with demonstrated well-honed integration skills.
- Prior experience working with international organizations related to knowledge management and learning related topics, particularly in a development context, is an advantage
Other relevant skills and knowledge
- Proven project Management skills, including but not limited to: leadership, communication, planning and people skills, risk and cost management, negotiation, critical thinking and quality management
- Understanding of IDB’s mission, organizational and other relevant strategies, and business model is an advantage
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and frameworks in a manner that is suitable to the client situation and in the best interest of the IDB is a plus
- Delivers results by recruiting the right talent and effectively managing people and resources. Sets performance standards and provides feedback, guidance, and coaching to drive growth and continuous improvement.
- Promotes Diversity and Inclusion, model inclusive behaviors and leverages diversity to achieve business results.
Language requirement: Excellent English and Spanish language proficiency, oral and written, is required. French and Portuguese a plus.
Link to Technical Competencies (← please Ctrl + Click)
Link to Core Competencies (← please Ctrl + Click)
Type of contract: Fixed term
Length of contract: 3 years, with possibility for renewal as per mutual agreement
Starting date: Upon agreement with the candidate
Location: Washington, D.C.
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
About us: At the IDB, we’re devoted to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
The IDB Division Chief of Knowledge and Learning will be subject to the IDB Personnel Policies, the IDB Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, and IDB policies.
Applicants must be a citizen of one of the 48 IDB Member Countries in order to qualify for any type of employment at the IDB.
Individuals with relatives working for the IDB and IIC/IDB Invest within and including the fourth degree of consanguinity and the second degree of affinity are not eligible. This includes staff members and contractuals/consultants.
The IDB offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
The IDB is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity based on gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, and religion. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.