Chili Pepper Post-Harvest & Processing Short-term Volunteer Assignment in Ghana
Requirement of the Program: U.S. Citizen or Green Card
Start Date: Between July and September 2011
Length of Assignment: Three to four weeks
Type of Assignment: Volunteer position (donate time), all expenses such as airfare, lodging, meals, and an interpreter, are paid
The Association of African Agro Exporters (AAFEX) is an association of over 90 African companies, including some in Ghana, that exports agricultural and agro-food products.
The AAFEX Ghana Chapter was inaugurated in December 2009 with eight companies and associations whose core activities involve the production of horticultural products for export. The Chapter has selected Bird’s Eye and Scotch Bonnet varieties of chili peppers to be their major pepper crops. The two varieties of chili peppers have a very high market demand, and AAFEX wants to take advantage of such market opportunity.
AAFEX is requesting a horticultural post-harvest specialist who will train and equip the farmers with improved post-harvest management practices and how to process the export-rejected chilies into powder.
- Meet with the executives to understand the current post harvest practices of the AAFEX and develop a work plan;
- Demonstrate and train farmers on harvesting;
- Train farmers on effective handling and precautionary measures to employ in order not to damage the quality of the harvested crop;
- Train the farmers on effective ways of transporting the harvested crops out of the farm to storage areas;
- Train farmers on effective storage methods;
- Train farmers on how to effectively process their rejected chili peppers into powder while maintaining quality;
- Develop a chili and vegetable post-harvest management practices manual;
- Develop a post-harvest handling and processing information systems.
- 10 years of practical experience in horticultural post-harvest.
- Experience in processing vegetables, especially chili peppers into powder.
- Experience in harvesting to packaging into the EU market, for Bird’s eye and Scotch Bonnet varieties.
- Good writing skills
- Previous experience in a rural setting of West Africa or African country is desired.
If you feel you are qualified for this opportunity, please apply directly online at http://apply.idd.landolakes.com. You will be contacted further if considered for this assignment or if additional information is needed. Thank you for your interest.