Climate Change Program Coordination Unit, RSDD, Regional and Sustainable Development Department
Closing Date: 10 December 2012 , 5:00 p.m. (1700 Manila Time, 0900 GMT)
Assist in developing, coordinating, and monitoring the implementation of Asian Development Bank (ADB)’s Climate Change Program, in particular relating to clean energy, carbon finance, private sector participation, and international climate change frameworks. Assist in coordinating and managing climate technology and finance matters, including related technical assistance tied to the pilot Climate Technology Finance Center (CTFC) and liaising with partners. Liaise closely with PSOD on mobilizing private capital towards climate change solutions, and work with other climate change specialists to support operational departments to enhance the quality of loans, TA projects, and non-lending products and services, especially relating to climate technologies. As appropriate, represent ADB externally at climate-related meetings. Key purposes of the position are to: (i) assist in implementation of innovative services related to climate mitigation and adaptation and climate finance; (ii) broaden and deepen ADB’s operations in climate technologies in the Asia Pacific region through effective operations of the pilot CTFC, and (iii) enhance ADB’s visibility through outreach and partnership development. Work with broad policies and objectives, working directly with clients, with supervision for critical tasks.
a. Policy and Strategy Frameworks
- Analyze infrastructure, energy, urban, and land use development plans in developing member countries (DMCs) with a view to mobilizing additional climate financing.
- Ensure proper coordination among regional departments and country offices for the exchange of information and experiences, and continuous improvement of climate change policy, planning and implementation practices.
- Track institutions under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), particularly related to the Financial and Technology Mechanisms, to ensure ADB’s support to DMCs is aligned to their needs and commitments under the UNFCCC.
- Assist in implementing activities of the CTFC to enhance access to technology and finance.
- Coordinate with regional departments and PSOD with respect to CTFC services provision, including access to climate finance and other climate related knowledge products.
b. Operational Advice and Support
- Provide advice to ADB operations teams on policies and strategies that can achieve co-benefits, including greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction, better air quality, improved energy efficiency and enhanced energy security, and mainstream climate change mitigation and adaptation in development planning.
- Provide advice to governments and ADB operations teams on strategies and measures to anticipate and minimize future impacts from adverse climate change conditions on infrastructure and other investments.
- Contribute to ongoing development of clean energy and other mitigation projects in DMCs in the Asia Pacific region.
- Assist DMCs in accessing relevant adaptation technologies and practices.
c. Knowledge Sharing and Partnership
- Identify specific areas of capacity building assistance required for mainstreaming climate change mitigation and adaptation in the project design.
- Coordinate with other divisions/departments concerning climate change initiatives, in particular enhancing knowledge sharing and collaboration among regional departments and PSOD.
- Support senior management preparing for participation in conference/workshops on climate change-related projects and policies, both within ADB and externally.
- Participate in and contribute to relevant internal and external training and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
- Liaise with and build partnership with relevant Asian and Pacific as well as other international organizations on enhancing cooperation relating to technology and finance
d. Staff Supervision
- Provide leadership and support to reporting staff
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear directions and regular monitoring
- Ensure ongoing learning and development of reporting staff
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Energy/Environmental/Civil Engineering, Environmental Economics, Energy/Environmental Policy, or other related fields. University degree in Energy/Environmental/Civil Engineering, Environmental Economics, Energy/Environmental Policy, or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
Relevant Experience And Other Requirements:
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
- Minimum 8 years of relevant professional experience in clean energy, climate technology, climate change policy, and project development work
- Understanding of climate change negotiation history, set-up of global frameworks, and country policy positions
- Understanding of climate change adaptation issues within the development context (in order to effectively support team members focusing on adaptation)
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills to articulate and represent ADB’s activities and directions in conferences and workshops, dynamically participate in networks, and interact effectively with ADB management, staff, and counterparts in other institutions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- International experience working in development in several countries
- Experience in both research (academia/research institutes) and private sector preferred
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Regularly shares knowledge on new international best practice trends in comparator situations
- Proactively applies relevant international best practices to own work
- Convinces others to adopt international best practice by explaining the situational relevance and benefits
- Helps colleagues work effectively with clients in different contexts and from diverse backgrounds and country situations
- Adapts own approach and style when interacting with clients, as opposed to requiring them to adapt
- Draws upon international best practice in exploring solutions with clients
- Confirms the clients’ understanding and agreement before progressing
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Draws on own and others’ multi-country experience to identify viable courses of action when conducting analyses
- Helps internal and external clients achieve quality results beyond presenting problems and precedent
- Highlights possible solutions for project issues based on relevant multi-country and/or multi-client experience
- Regularly contributes insights and experiences to colleagues in the Division to help them achieve quality results
- Overcomes unexpected difficulties and challenges to produce desired outcomes
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks the audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution based on lessons and multi-country experience
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
Immediate Reporting Relationships / Other Information:
- Supervisor: Head/Advisor, RSDD-CC
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
Women are encouraged to apply.