In Colombia, Rare is redefining its strategy to deliver greater impact at a critical juncture in the country’s history with the implementation of the Peace Accord. The agricultural sector holds the key to continued peace and thriving landscapes - today and tomorrow - where a mosaic of uses is mutually reinforcing: improved yields and productivity, safeguarded habitats and biodiversity, increased resilience, and enhanced biosequestration.
Work undertaken in Colombia will be at the forefront of a global program on climate-smart agriculture that Rare is developing. This is an exceptional opportunity for an entrepreneurial and creative individual to help lead the development of a new global program at the intersection of food systems, climate change, behavior change, and conservation.
Rare will work with farmers to redesign farming systems and bring about shifts across a range of productive practices and land-uses to advance climate-smart agriculture and more integrated landscapes. Agricultural extension services are a key entry point for advancing such integrated approaches, and innovation in agriculture is now a priority for the Colombian government. The opportunity is to support farmers and communities become change agents themselves to advance the transition to vibrant agroecological landscapes.
The climate-smart agricultural expert will support the strategic development Rare’s work in this field, working closely with teams within the organization that have developed innovative approaches to maximizing the benefits between agriculture and conservation as well as leaders in the field of behavior change and behavior-centered design. Key areas of work will include research to define and develop products that link best practices in agroecological approaches with behavior-centered drivers.
S/he will have both a broad and deep understanding of the core issues relating to climate-smart agriculture, and of the opportunities to advance productivity, adaptation and mitigation goals. S/he will have experience in the implementation of climate-smart agricultural programs either for small-scale or larger farms. Experience working in Colombia provides a solid understanding of the range of efforts and initiatives undertaken to date to advance more sustainable approaches to agricultural productivity. Deep technical knowledge will be complemented by a robust understanding of national policy contexts. Experience with carbon markets is a plus.
S/he will bring leadership and vision to this role, partnering with teams within Rare to advance climate-smart agricultural solutions catalyzed through behavior-centered design approaches. Widely replicable toolkits and products will be developed, and projects implemented, to make the objective of future-fit landscapes with a synergistic mosaic of uses that deliver resilient livelihoods and productivity, capture mitigation potential and protect strategic ecosystems and biodiversity, a reality. To this end, work will include the following:
- Review and assess initiatives and experiences to date in Colombia and the region to advance climate-smart agricultural practices.
- Assess specific factors at national, sub-national and local levels that influence uptake and higher adoption rates of best practices.
- Analyze barriers to adoption and scaling of CSA technologies.
- Assess CSA capacity building gaps and needs among national and sub-national extension services, farmer organizations, farmers, and other private sector stakeholders, and contribute to developing systematic tools for such assessment.
- Contribute to the development of a portfolio of products and tools that align climate-smart agricultural practices with behavior-centered approaches.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of training and capacity building programs at national and sub-national level for agricultural extension service providers, farmer cooperatives, local and national authorities, and other private sector actors.
- Support the exchange of knowledge between farmers, extension agents and scientists with a view of identifying and developing the most suitable CSA practices in specific geographies.
- Contribute to the development of new projects for implementing climate-smart approaches in specific geographies or sectors.
- Provide climate-smart agricultural insights to planning exercises at sub-national level.
- Prepare and deliver public presentations on Rare’s work on climate-smart agriculture.
- Experience with carbon markets is a plus.
Experience and Education
- Master’s degree in Agricultural Sciences, Environmental Economics, or a related field with experience in climate change and agricultural systems.
- At least 7 years’ experience in climate smart technologies and practices, in research and implementation, with experience in scaling technologies and practices.
- Ability to design studies, collect and analyze data on gaps in undertaking and scaling CSA.
- Experience in working with national extension services systems, agribusiness SMEs, cooperatives, farmers, or other stakeholders on CSA, including training services.
- Extensive experience in designing and managing CSA initiatives.
- Experience in watershed management, ecosystem-based adaptation and management of rangelands or forests is welcome.
- Excellent writing, reporting, and communication skills in Spanish; fluency in English is required and strong writing skills are a bonus.
- Ability to prepare working papers, policy briefs, info notes, including translating these for non - scientific audiences.
- Ability to travel in Colombia and abroad, including work in remote locations.
- Ability to work efficiently and collaboratively with colleagues and to build effective working relations.
*Para leer la descripción y más detalles en español, por favor visita nuestra página de web (https://www.rare.org/en-rare-careers#.XFtVYrhOlpg) o haga clic aquí en la sección de “Apply” en esta página de DevEx
About the Organization
Rare inspires change so people and nature thrive.
Rare believes that conservation is about people. True, most environmental problems stem from human activity, but people also wield the solutions. Rare concentrates on finding and replicating proven solutions to many of the world’s biggest environmental challenges. Rare’s mantra is to find what works and then repeat.
Core to that approach is Rare’s insight that individuals and communities are motivated as much by emotion as by reason. Thus conservationists must become as skilled in social science as biological science. This is the rationale behind Rare’s signature Pride campaigns.
Rare trains local leaders to run Pride campaigns that employ proven social science methods typically reserved for the marketing and advertising industries to inspire change people to adopt conservation solutions and empower them to make those solutions their own. By appealing to both hearts and minds, Rare’s prove approach accelerates the adoption and increases the sustainability of the solutions. Rare and its partners have conducted over 250 Pride campaigns in more than 50 countries, empowering local communities to become natural asset managers across Latin America, Asia and Africa.