Abt Associates seeks a qualified Clinical Specialist for the Local Health System Sustainability Project’s Jordan Activity (LHSS/Jordan). The LHSS Project is USAID’s flagship initiative in integrated health systems strengthening, with a goal to help low- and middle- income countries transition to sustainable, self-financed health systems as a means to support universal health coverage. LHSS/Jordan in particular will work with the Ministry of Health (MOH) and private sector in country to 1) strengthen the Jordanian contact tracing system; 2) provide rapid support to improve Jordan’s immediate COVID-19 diagnostic capacity and address gaps in Jordan’s lab network for infectious disease detection; 3) provide assistance to private and public sector partners for COVID-19 case management and surge support; and 4) advocate to develop a legal framework for telemedicine services.
This is a full-time position based in Amman, Jordan, working under the supervision of the Activity’s COVID-19 Advisor.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The Specialist will have the following specific duties and responsibilities:
- Support the COVID-19 Advisor in the coordination of the LHSS/Jordan COVID-19 response intervention activities;
- Assist the COVID-19 Advisor in the design and implementation of hospital preparedness plans for private and public hospitals on contingency hospital responses in case of a COVID-19 outbreak;
- Coordinate with a multi-disciplinary consultant team to conduct on-site assessments and engage hospital teams in developing and implementing action plans to address gaps and quality improvement items;
- Support a subcontractor in identifying priority capacity building areas shared across the hospitals and facilitate workshops with hospital teams based on these needs;
- Assist the COVID-19 Advisor in managing training health care providers in the public and private sector on COVID-19 case management, including developing recorded webinars;
- Provide support for the ICU capacity-building interventions;
- Assist the COVID-19 Advisor and IPC consultant with developing IPC communication plans in public hospitals, assessing tools to prevent contamination and spread of infection among health workers, patients, and hospital visitors;
- Contribute to LHSS/Jordan MEL activities and to the development of success stories from Activity interventions.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in public health, epidemiology, international development, medicine, advanced nursing, or other related fields.
- Minimum 7 years’ prior experience providing technical assistance in clinical interventions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of infectious disease prevention and management preferred.
- Familiarity with public health emergency response and management preferred.
- Experience working in similar USAID-funded projects preferred.
- Strong English writing/speaking skills required and fluency in Arabic preferred.
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.