ECODIT is seeking a Communication Program Manager to provide management and technical leadership for the implementation of the Power Africa Communications Services Project, an anticipated Task Order (TO) under the Power Africa IDIQ. The Power Africa Coordinator’s Office, based at the U.S. Embassy in Pretoria, South Africa, and within the Africa Bureau at Washington D.C., oversees the Power Africa interagency initiative, which includes implementation of the Electrify Africa Act of 2015. Power Africa intends to bring electricity to 300 million people by increasing the current power capacity of sub-Saharan Africa by 30,000 MWs and creating 60 million new connections by 2030. The Coordinator’s Office designs and implements a number of activities to improve energy infrastructure in sub-Saharan Africa. It also oversees energy interventions by 12 U.S. Government agencies in over 23 countries, creating a global presence in power sector development.
The Communication Program Manager will be responsible for project management efforts and will serve as the primary liaison with USAID and the Pretoria-based Power Africa staff. S/he also will provide technical leadership to the execution of project activities in the areas of strategic communications, written and visual communication development, support to the Power Africa Communication Network, events management, and procurement of physical materials in support of communications events and activities. Applicants must be currently based in either Pretoria or Johannesburg, South Africa. Specifically, the Communication Program Manager will assume the following key roles and responsibilities:
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead project management efforts and ensure compliance with contract requirements;
- Attend and participate in a post-award conference to kick off the project and immediately draft an operational management plan after the post-award conference;
- Facilitate project progress reviews on a biweekly (every two weeks) basis, and prepare and disseminate progress reports in advance, for discussion during the meetings;
- Provide quality control to ensure that all deliverables and work products for all tasks are complete, accurate, and delivered according to established schedules and quality standards to USAID for review, comment, and acceptance;
- Ensure that all deliverables and work products comply with applicable federal regulations;
- Maintain a day-to-day collaborative relationship with the TO Contracting Officer’s Representative (TOCOR);
- Ensure that all activities are tracked and recorded; and
- Provide support to other management tasks, as they may arise.
- Support the strategic principles and activities of the Power Africa integrated communications plan, including by updating the plan to reflect evolving priorities and environments; developing, maintaining, and updating templates for various communication products that ensure consistency of the Power Africa brand; and conducting external stakeholder mapping and tracking;
- Provide a wide range of communication services to produce informational and resonant development outreach materials. Services include copy writing, copy-editing, videography, animation, data visualization, photography, graphical and video editing, visual representation and design to produce public-facing materials;
- Support the network of Power Africa partners with their communications needs, including by developing “go kits” of communications materials and communications training/orientation documents; providing communications training; and developing a publication partnership series with media groups to cover Power Africa;
- Provide a broad range of support to the Power Africa inter-agency for all events, conferences, workshops, meetings, forums, and other public engagements that include Power Africa attendance and/or participation; and
- Coordinate and procure physical materials, such as flyers, booklets, banners, business cards, lapel pins, and other physical items needed to support the objectives of Power Africa communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, international relations, or other relevant field;
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in strategic communications, preferably in an international development context;
- Proven project management experience;
- Experience providing communication support to international development efforts and/or high visibility initiatives;
- Exceptional writing skills including scientific or technical storytelling;
- Experience sourcing, securing and managing services and vendors;
- Exceptional copy-editing skills;
- Event management experience;
- Experience developing and implementing long-term communications strategies and distinct outreach campaigns or plans;
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills, with the ability to collaborate across diverse teams to efficiently manage the delivery of communications support;
- Ability to self-start, work independently, and proactively identify and recommend new initiatives;
- Familiarity with USAID branding guidelines and standards;
- Proficiency in editing and writing, social media marketing (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Constant Contact, Medium, LinkedIn, Youtube), Adobe CS (Illustrator, In-Design, Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects), and data visualization; and
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Experience and skill in photography and videography;
- Experience working for USAID or on USAID projects;
- Experience working in the energy sector in an international development setting; and
- Familiarity with the Power Africa initiative.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and CV. Samples of relevant, recent publications may also be submitted. Only select candidates will be contacted; no phone calls or emails please.
About the Organization
ECODIT is an international development ﬁrm working with governments, businesses, and local communities to advance environmentally- and socially-responsible development around the world. We provide technical assistance services ranging from quick-turnaround assessments and evaluations to design and implementation of long-term multi-million dollar projects. Since its founding in 1993, ECODIT has provided professional services through over 250 projects/contracts to diverse clients in more than 40 countries. Building on our track record of success, we have continuously expanded the depth and breadth of our expertise in the water, energy, environment, and urban and local governance sectors.
To serve our clients most effectively, ECODIT has two permanent office locations: one in the Washington, DC area (USA) and one in Beirut (Lebanon). In addition, ECODIT maintains a number of project-dedicated offices around the world; as of July 2017, ECODIT has project offices in Da Nang, Vietnam; Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo; and Almaty, Kazakhstan.