International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Job Title: Communications Advisor
Department/Location: Accra, Ghana
Reports To: Research Director
Type: Regular Full-Time
Overview: IBTCI seeks a Communications Advisor for USAID’s Peace through Evaluation, Learning and Adapting Activity (PELA) in Ghana. The purpose of this activity is to support USAID/West Africa to be a more effective, efficient and adaptable operating unit in achieving the development objective of strengthening systems of non-violent conflict management in West Africa. The activity will strengthen USAID’s effectiveness implementing its projects; coordinating its activities; learning from its experiences; and serving as an information, communication, and thought leader regarding peace promotion and countering violent extremism (CVE) in the West Africa region. This position is based in Accra, Ghana with a period of performance of 51 months. Ghanaian nationals are encouraged to apply for this position.
This position is contingent upon award.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the presentation of all activity data, research and learning to a diverse range of audiences;
- Review and edit all research products as well as communications products produced by the activity, ensuring that products are of publishable quality and tailored to the appropriate audiences;
- Advise on dissemination methods for products to ensure that information reaches the appropriate audiences most effectively;
- Explore and develop means of effectively communicating complex information, whether generated by the activity or other partners, and making it easily understood;
- Responsible for directing and managing the activity in the absence of the Research Director, with the equivalent status of Deputy Chief of Party.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent skills and demonstrated experience in communications and graphic design, preferably in international development;
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-country and multi-cultural setting as demonstrated by past experience;
- Ability to manage day to day operations of the activity and familiarity with internal control functions;
- Experience with countering violent extremism or peace promotion preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience in communications, graphic design, or analytical research;
- Familiarity with programming development assistance, preferably in the areas of CVE, peace promotion and/or monitoring and evaluation;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, including experience preparing high quality reports and presentations;
- Fluency speaking, reading and writing in French.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in communications, graphic design, public administration, political science, international relations, conflict resolution and peacebuilding or related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: Travel to other countries in the West Africa region is required.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment.