Macfadden, a PAE company, is seeking a Communications & Information Specialist to support USAID’s Office of Transition Initiatives (OTI). OTI supports U.S. foreign policy objectives by helping local partners advance peace and democracy. OTI provides fast, flexible, short-term assistance targeted at key political transition and stabilization needs.
The Communications & Information Specialist is an important member of OTI’s communications team providing strategic, editorial and content development support to numerous teams across the office.
Qualified candidates should possess excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills and have exceptional attention to detail. Candidates must be flexible and have the ability to work under tight deadlines in an extremely fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Collecting and synthesizing information pertaining to USAID/OTI’s work to promote stability, peace, and democracy by catalyzing local initiatives through adaptive and agile programming. The Communications & Information Specialist will draft, edit, appropriately format, and disseminate a wide range of internal and external information and written and multimedia products in Washington, D.C., and overseas.
- Coordinate with and assist the three OTI divisions - the Field Programs Division in particular – with the development of information management products for relevant stakeholders. Assist with and provide updated guidance for and recommendations on current OTI outreach products and web-based materials.
- Support crafting of official correspondence, fact sheets, success stories, social media posts, memos and PowerPoint presentations.
- Track, manage, and coordinate clearances across the office in response to information requests (Taskers).
- For non-technical audiences, write, edit, and substantively copy edit content, including: fact sheets, blogs, presentations, newsletters, and web and social media copy. Work with graphic designers to develop infographics and other visuals to use as standalone resources and/or in other products.
- Manage and maintain annual editorial calendar - monitoring the progress of drafts, reviews and revisions to ensure that deadlines are met for annual reports and publications.
- Assist in delivering of Outreach-specific trainings for OTI staff.
- Participate in face-to-face meetings, conference calls, and other relationship management activities within the OTI office, and other stakeholders, as needed. Assist with representation and articulation of OTI’s mission and global programs to key players (internal and external stakeholders).
- Support videography and photography efforts, as needed.
- Carry-out additional responsibilities as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Relevant master’s degree (international affairs, communications, media/production, etc.) and 6 years of relevant work experience or a relevant Bachelor’s degree (international affairs, communications, media/production, etc.) and 8 years of relevant experience.
Relevant work experience includes but is not limited to experience as a writer, editor, reporter, producer, or communications specialist.
- Ability to accurately collect and synthesize information for non-technical audiences and craft that information into communications products (incl: fact sheets, success stories, social media posts, and memos)
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills - Familiarity with AP & Chicago Manual of Style is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and meet deadlines in a challenging, fast-paced environment.
- Outstanding organization and project management skills, with the ability to execute multiple projects simultaneously with tight deadlines and prioritize personal workload in an evolving environment.
- Working knowledge of and interest in international development issues.
- A versatile self-starter and creative thinker with the capability to see the big picture and the details of a project.
- Demonstrate good judgement, innovation, versatility and integrity.
- Possess the ability to produce high-quality materials with maximum time efficiencies, and provide updates on a routine basis.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
To be considered for this position, you MUST submit the following:
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
Please combine your cover letter, resume, and writing sample into one PDF or Word document and submit it through the online application system when prompted to upload a CV.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
A short editing test will be conducted for the most-qualified candidates.
U.S. citizenship is required; selected candidate must be able to qualify for a government sponsored Secret Clearance.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds.
This position description reflects Macfadden’s assignment of essential functions; nothing in this job description restricts the Company’s latitude to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.