Key Internal Interfaces: Program Manager, COR, CMC Team
Key External Interfaces: Public, DOD
This position is located in the Bureau for Democracy, Conflict and Humanitarian Assistance, Office of Civilian-Military Cooperation (DCHA/CMC). The position will serve as the principle strategic communications specialist for CMC. CMC has three strategic goals:
- DOD and USAID policies incorporate defense and development considerations, where appropriate;
- DOD and USAID plans and programs reflect shared priorities and leverage capabilities of each;
- Roles, capabilities, policies, plans and programs are effectively communicated to DOD and USAID audiences and to external stakeholders
DCHA/CMC manages a personnel exchange between USAID and DOD, with the ultimate goal of more synergistic operations in foreign assistance and foreign affairs across the USG, more effective achievement of USG development and security goals, and more efficient use of resources.
Staff are engaged in the critical nexus where development and security concerns come together in countries of national security interest, regionally, and at the Washington policy level. Communications are sensitive nature and can be highly specialized and technical. The incumbent will assist office leadership conceptualize, develop and execute a strategy for internal and external communication of the work of the office effectively to senior political leaders, USAID staff, the Department of Defense, the Department of State, and other legislative and executive branch stakeholders.
Apply knowledge of communications tactics, techniques, and strategies necessary to support the Office of Civilian-Military Cooperation, Bureau for Democracy, Conflict and Humanitarian Assistance of USAID. The incumbent performs a variety of outreach and public affairs, and strategic communications functions, including developing communications materials. Materials development includes weekly and monthly reports for senior political leaders, position papers, invitations, articles, web copy, speeches, talking points, and Q&A documents. The incumbent will also perform duties such as:
- Provide advice and counsel to office and bureau leaders and the USAID senior management team on external communication activities
- Plan and execute an outreach/communications strategy and internal communications initiatives.
- Review and analyze written material for objectivity, style, presentation, coherence, sentence structure, grammar, and readability.
- Ensure that written materials are accurate (fact checking), logically consistent, well organized, well researched, and appropriate for the intended audience.
- Manage weekly and monthly reporting, using input from field staff, identifying appropriate communication vehicles, pitching written materials for USAID, DoD, and other executive and legislative branch stakeholders.
- Write persuasive prose for diverse audiences on the nexus between development and security in the foreign affairs arena.
- Developing key messages and communication materials appropriate for different target audiences;
- Writing and editing text for various communication vehicles including reports, briefing documents, speeches and fact sheets.
- Ensuring that written products project the policies and objectives of USAID and the Office of Civilian-Military Cooperation.
Required Education: Master’s degree and 6 years of relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of relevant experience.
Required Experience: Demonstrated experience in developing, managing, or evaluating communication products and strategies. Experience producing, editing and reviewing a range of written, verbal, and article communications materials (e.g. brochures, publications, articles, speeches, PowerPoint presentations).
- Competency with computer programs and web page content development.
- Strong organizational techniques.
- Ability to professionally communicate with all levels within an organization and the general public.
- Skilled in communication strategic thinking and planning.
- Skilled in written and verbal communication.
- Knowledge of USAID, Department of Defense, foreign assistance, development, and security policy issues.
U.S. Citizenship is required; selected candidate MUST have an Active Secret clearance to qualify for this role.
Work schedule: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Application Instructions: Please submit a resume and a writing sample. Applications without writing samples will not be considered.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds.
This position description reflects Macfadden’s assignment of essential functions; nothing in this job description restricts the Company’s latitude to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Macfadden provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Macfadden complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Macfadden expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Macfadden’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge. This policy covers conduct occurring at Macfadden’s offices, client sites, other locations where Macfadden is providing services, and to all work-related activities.