Job Title: Communications and Outreach Specialist USAID/LAC
Department/Location: Washington DC & Several Countries in Latin America
Reports To: Program Director
Type: Regular Full-Time
Overview: IBTCI is seeking a communications and outreach specialist to provide broad internal and external communications and outreach support for USAID’s LAC Bureau and Missions. Duties include supporting the Bureau’s external outreach efforts, developing and implementing a comprehensive outreach and communications strategy, preparing and disseminating regular situation reports from USAID programs in Latin American and the Caribbean, and developing content for the Bureau and Mission webpages to include program information and results. This position is contingent upon award.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Defining goals and strategies for improving the quality, consistency, and effectiveness of communications and outreach.
- Coordinating public information functions.
- Ensuring consistency of message in USAID products, including USAID branding and marking.
- Identifying target audiences for information dissemination and outreach.
- Identifying strategic opportunities for new publications and products, and creating them.
- In collaboration with the USAID Bureau of Legislative and Public Affairs (LPA) and Department of State public affairs officers, conducting media outreach, drafting press releases, and preparing responses to media queries.
- Maintaining effective coordination with other relevant USG public information officials.
- Providing editorial advice, content support, and contacts to develop and improve communication skills of senior staff and others communicating with Congress, the media, and the general public.
- Creating and reviewing fact sheets, situation reports, talking points, speeches, public presentations, and briefing materials for external audiences including the public, the media, Congress, foreign governments, NGOs, civil society organizations, and international organizations.
- Assembling information for, and drafting responses to, Congressional and public inquiries.
- Interviewing beneficiaries and partners for outreach purposes.
- Photographing events, USAID activities, and program beneficiaries for outreach purposes.
- Supporting USAID/LAC staff in developing publications such as electronic newsletters, annual reports, project reports, or special publications and briefs.
- Providing assistance in developing and maintaining the LAC website and other social media outlet activity using innovative new ideas for delivery.
- Developing a sustainability plan for the maintenance of LAC websites that considers ongoing Agency efforts and best cost and efficiency options.
- Drafting and assembling reports, briefing books and other materials for all levels of government including USAID/LAC; other USAID offices, Bureaus, and Missions; the Department of State; and other USG agencies
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of USAID programs, policies and procedures
- Training in communications
- Clear writing and presentation skills
- Formatting reports and other documents
- 5 years’ experience in development experience
- Fluency in Spanish is required
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Communications, journalism, Global Affairs, International Development or program planning related fields is required. Master’s degree in preferred.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment, with some time spent in the field.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: International travel may be required.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. We are an E-Verify Employer. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Human Resources at 703-749-0100.
About the Organization
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.