CAMRIS International is an international development and research firm that realizes innovative solutions to health and development challenges through high-quality, cost-effective program and research management services. With experience working in more than 80 countries, we combine our proven systems with today’s most effective, evidence-based best practices to improve the lives of people around the world.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has contracted through Social Solutions International partnered with CAMRIS International, to recruit and hire qualified individuals for the following position:
U.S. Agency for International Development/Bureau for Global Health/Office of Population and Reproductive Health
Title: Communications and Public Affairs Analyst
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
The Communications and Public Affairs Analyst is an integral part of the communications team, working with the Senior Strategic Communications, Outreach and Public Affairs Advisor to articulate communication and outreach goals for USAID’s Office of Population and Reproductive Health, and creating and carrying out strategies for achieving them. The team’s responsibilities include overseeing the development, publication and distribution of new materials, conducting wide-ranging and impactful social media campaigns, performing liaison work with interested outside groups, and assisting with special events planning. The Communications and Public Affairs Analyst serves as a link between PRH and the Agency’s Bureau of Legislative and Public Affairs (LPA), and represents PRH on the Global Health Communications Team. The Communications and Public Affairs Analyst ranks tasks in order of importance and impending deadlines, and handles several tasks simultaneously. The individual must develop a working knowledge of USAID policies, PRH office priorities, and LPA and PRH communication needs. The individual must also gain a clear understanding of the Senior Strategic Communications, Outreach and Public Affairs Advisor role and be prepared to serve as the primary backstop in his/her absence.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with a minimum degree of supervision. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design and implement communications strategy for PRH, supporting PRH Office leadership and the Senior Technical Advisor
- Define goals and strategies for improving the quality, consistency and effectiveness of Office communications and outreach
- Develop campaign strategies for global event days and special events/conferences
- Support the coordination of strategy and goals to further Bureau- and Agency-wide communications efforts
- Identify audiences for FP/RH information dissemination and outreach
Conceptualize, research and write: Develop various internal and external documents, either directly or in coordination with technical staff and consultants. Documents could include, but are not limited to, issue briefs, country profiles, success stories, the annual report to Congress, newsletters and newsletter articles, Web news items, press releases, blog posts, and social media entries.
- Create comprehensive information packets for audiences including senior Global Health Bureau (GH) leadership, Agency leadership, general public and Congress
- Write and compile briefers and other tasks as assigned by the Administrator’s office
- Pitch stories and write articles for Agency’s Web and social media channels
- Document program activities and accomplishments; seek out success stories from partners and missions
- Manage PRH submissions to monthly update to the USAID Administrator
- Review and edit external and internal documents from staff and partners; fact-check program materials
- Develop FP/RH speeches and talking points for GH and Agency leadership for public speaking engagements/events
- Lead the management and development of content, features and design ideas for external and internal Web sites, social media channels and other online resources
- Lead the effort to update USAID’s PRH Web site under LPA’s USAID Web site redesign
- Create new material and perform routine updates and maintenance
- Research and implement use of a variety of web-based media to promote USAID PRH accomplishments, in line with GH communications team and LPA communications goals. This may include blogs, online op/eds, USAID’s YouTube channel, social media platforms, new interactive content, etc.
- Create multimedia content showcasing USAID’s success in family planning programming.
- Strategize the promotion of USAID’s accomplishments, successes, news and events via social media through the Agency’s, Global Health Bureau’s, and partners’ social media channels.
- Support branding compliance and answer questions regarding implementation.
- Represent PRH priorities on the Global Health Communications Team
- Participate as an active member on the Global Health Communications Team to holistically elevate the role of global health within and outside of the Agency
- Liaise with and actively participate in Agency’s Strategic Communications Group and Social Media Working Group, led by LPA; report out on meetings to GH Communications Team
- Contribute to GH communications strategy development and opportunities calendar
- Liaise with other GH communications officers as appropriate to incorporate PRH messages into broader GH communications initiatives
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years relevant experience or Masters and 3 years of experience.
- Solid understanding of media and press relations.
- Past experience in crafting media pitches preferred
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks and work well under the pressure of deadlines
- Ability to research a diverse array of health-related topics and distill the key messages in preparation for presentations
- Experience with policy writing, including distilling key concepts and presenting them for specific audiences
- Experience with U.S. Government clearance processes and protocol, and comfort working in a large bureaucracy
- Ability to maintain organization and productivity in an ambiguous and often fast-paced environment
- Experience working cooperatively and strategically across offices and with different teams of people
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- US citizenship or US permanent residency required and the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance
This is an opportunity for employment or a contract, but we reserve the right to make no selection or award.
Social Solutions International and CAMRIS International offer competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits. Please submit your resume online at www.camris.com
Social Solutions and CAMRIS are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About the Organization
CAMRIS International is a growing international development and research firm that realizes innovative solutions to health and development challenges through high-quality, cost-effective program and research management services. With experience working in more than 80 countries, we combine our proven systems with today’s most effective, evidence-based best practices to improve the lives of people around the world. We apply a customized, customer-centric, cost-effective business approach to offer greater value to our clients and challenge the way things have always been done in our field.