About the program
The Government of Papua New Guinea (PNG) has identified law and order, combating corruption and reducing violence against women as national development priorities. PNG’s strategic frameworks prioritise reducing crime and social unrest to achieve the vision of a ‘just, safe and secure society for all’ as the foundation for improving economic and social development.
To meet this goal, the Australian government provides support to strengthen national agencies across the law and justice sector in PNG. The two key objectives underpinning this support are:
- Safer and more secure communities where people have greater access to better aligned effective legal services and community justice mechanisms; and
- More accountable, legitimate and responsive law and justice agencies contributing to a culture of legal compliance and enforcement.
The Justice Services and Stability for Development Program (JSS4D) supports the PNG Government through targeted assistance to PNG’s law and justice agencies, provincial governments, the Autonomous Region of Bougainville (ARoB) and civil society groups focused around four inter-related outcomes for the sector:
- Outcome 1: Community Safety and Security
- Outcome 2: Addressing Family and Sexual Violence
- Outcome 3: Effective Law and Justice Services
- Outcome 4: Anti-Corruption
About the role
Based in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, the Communications and Public Relations Adviser will be responsible for promoting achievements, impact and lessons of the JSS4D Program and assisting in raising community awareness of law and justice services to deliver the Program’s specified Outcomes. The Communications and Public Relations Adviser’s responsibilities will include -
- Reviewing and developing the JSS4D communications strategy
- Working closely with DFAT to maintain a fresh, interesting and responsive social media presence
- Identifying key program achievements and impacts for dissemination through a range of mediums to varied audiences.
- Writing and developing communication tools, such as media releases, talking points, newsletters, Facebook and social media stories.
- Developing digital products such as short videos.
- Managing events and preparing associated communications materials including speeches and briefings.
- Monitoring and reporting on law and justice sector‐related media and public issues to manage and mitigate public reputational risks.
- Developing a knowledge management system
- Providing training and mentoring to advisers and staff on the communications strategy
The successful candidate will possess;
- Demonstrated high level skills in organisational communications, public relations and media management in a complex and dynamic operating environment, preferably in an international development context
- Demonstrated creativity to develop impact focused and engaging communications products, across multiple media platforms.
- High-level interpersonal skills and experience in taking a mentoring and capacity building approach as required.
- Excellent presentation, writing and editing skills in English and a facility for telling stories.
- Ability to develop and implement a knowledge management system across multiple workplaces and staff from different professional backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a busy cross cultural team.
- Ability to apply Donor branding and communications requirements
Please copy paste this link to access the Terms of Reference detailing responsibilities and selection criteria: https://bit.ly/2PKzYCm
How to apply?
We welcome your interest in joining the Cardno team. Please click ‘apply’ and submit:
- Your CV including the contact details of at least two professional referees.
- A covering letter responding directly to the essential skills and experience as outlined in the Selection Criteria.
Applications for this position close at 5.00pm AEST, Monday 2nd December 2019. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered by the selection panel.
We are a global provider of integrated professional services which enrich the physical and social environment for the communities in which we live and work. Our team of multidisciplinary specialists has more than 70 years’ experience in designing, developing and delivering sustainable projects and community advancement programs.
If you have any questions about this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “Communications and Public Relations Adviser” in the email subject line.
Cardno is an equal opportunity employer. Cardno is committed to Child Protection and safeguarding the welfare of children in the delivery of our International Development programs. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Any offer of employment will require criminal record clearance.
Amendments to the position’s Terms of Reference may be made during the period of the engagement as required.
About the Organization
Cardno is a global provider of integrated professional services which enrich the physical and social environment for the communities in which we live and work. Our team of multidisciplinary specialists has more than 70 years’ experience in designing, developing and delivering sustainable projects and community advancement programs.
Cardno ID (International Development) manages a number of donor-funded programs in the Asia Pacific region. We engage in international development as a holistic, multidisciplinary and integrated process. Strengthened by our geographic and market diversity, we are committed to providing innovative and integrated solutions that create opportunities for significant, lasting change in emerging economies. Partnering with multilateral and bilateral donors, private clients, governments and communities to develop sustainable solutions to complex challenges, we work with local counterparts to achieve meaningful impact.