Job DescriptionAbout BRAC UPGI
BRAC is a global leader in scaling cost-effective, evidence-based programs to assist the most marginalized people, including a poverty alleviation program that helps the poorest lift themselves out of extreme poverty. BRAC’s Ultra-Poor Graduation Initiative (UPGI) is committed to expanding a proven and comprehensive intervention that has already helped nearly 9 million people escape extreme poverty. More about BRAC’s UPGI here: http://bracultrapoorgraduation.org/.
This position will be based in Washington DC as part of a team that supports the expansion of BRAC’s Ultra-Poor Graduation approach. It will interface with staff members across BRAC global operations in New York, London, Bangladesh, and other offices in Asia and Africa.
About the Position
BRAC UPGI seeks an organized and self-motivated Communications Coordinator (CC) who will support a growing, fast-paced team that advocates and provides advisory services around the Ultra-Poor Graduation approach to a variety of stakeholders, governments, donors, other practitioners, academics, and the media. This role offers the opportunity to help improve systems, maximize outreach, and influence greater awareness and support of an evidence-backed poverty alleviation intervention.
The ideal candidate has experience contributing to and implementing communications strategies, with strong skills in writing and developing and organizing databases. A background in contributing to the growth of audiences across various communications channels and a desire to transition to more hands-on responsibilities and project management is preferred. The CC will report directly to the Senior Manager for Communications and will work as an integral part of an agile communications team.
The CC will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the team’s communications strategy. S/he will oversee logistics and help promote BRAC UPGI as a leader in poverty alleviation through content development, digital media, event support, and outreach.
- Write new content for social media, blogs, website, media, and collateral that aligns with BRAC UPGI’s brand and draws from key messaging.
- Maintain and improve systems that drive conversation and ensure consistency by linking to relevant content across various communications channels, including website, newsletter, media, and social media platforms.
- Help design strategies and implement campaigns that expand outreach, achieve growth in followers/subscribers, and increase engagement.
- Develop and maintain essential communications databases, including the social media database, storybank, and editorial calendar, that feature and categorize key messaging and narratives around critical topics relevant to the work of BRAC UPGI.
- Monitor media and social media activity, focusing particularly on key stakeholders and topics, and help inform BRAC UPGI’s engagement and outreach plans through proposed activities.
- Create periodic reports that assess progress against goals, suggest variables to test, and track improvements over time.
The candidate for Communications Coordinator should possess exceptional skills in writing, organization, and implementing communications strategies to raise awareness with target audiences and increase engagement with key partners. S/he should also possess an interest in international development and combating major global issues. Additionally, they will have the following attributes:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, with a preference given to candidates with degrees in journalism or communications. Additional coursework and specialization in international development would be considered favorably.
- Three to four years experience with a background in content production, social media, website support, digital media, and media relations preferred.
- Experience with or knowledge of international development, public policy, multilateral institutions, and/or global governance.
- Prior communications experience at a global development organization or working on global issues is helpful.
Knowledge & Skills:
How to Apply
- Excellent writing and editing skills are desired, as is the ability to distill key messages from complex arguments for a variety of stakeholders. An awareness of storytelling structure a plus.
- The candidate must have demonstrable skills with contributing to and implementing comprehensive communications strategies, with a focus on digital media (web, social media, blogs, and media outreach) preferred.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills, including the ability to meet deadlines for multiple projects simultaneously while remaining calm under pressure.
- An ability to work well independently but also a team player who works well with others.
- A fun and passionate disposition.
BRAC USA offers a competitive benefits package including base salary, medical/dental/vision insurance, FSA, life insurance, 401k, annual professional development stipend, and generous paid time off. Note that some benefits are subject to a waiting period and more information can be provided to shortlisted applicants, upon request.
BRAC USA is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation, in accordance with state and federal law.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
To apply, please upload your resume, cover letter, and references here no later than April 2, 2020.
No calls, emails, visits, or recruiters associated with this position, please.
About the Organization
BRAC is a global leader in developing and implementing cost-effective, evidence-based programs to assist the most marginalized people in extremely poor, conflict-prone, and post-disaster settings. These include initiatives in education, healthcare, microfinance, women and girls’ empowerment, agriculture, human and legal rights, and more. Headquartered in Bangladesh and working across 11 countries in South Asia and Africa, BRAC touches the lives of more than 100 million people worldwide.
Based in New York, BRAC USA is the North American affiliate of BRAC. BRAC USA provides comprehensive support to BRAC around the world by raising awareness about its work and mobilizing resources to support programs. BRAC USA works closely with international counterparts to design and implement cost-effective and evidence-based poverty innovations. It is an independent 501(c)(3) organization.