Alterna is looking for a highly qualified and driven professional to join the Communication team and support Alterna’s high growth trajectory as it leads the sector of social innovation and entrepreneurship in Central America and beyond. This Fellow will be an integral part of the team responsible for designing and implementing a high-impact institutional communication strategy that enables Alterna to expand and strengthen voice and services in the region.
The Fellow will work with the Communication team to develop and implement dynamic and inclusive narrative campaigns and incorporate powerful case studies into outreach materials. The Fellow will generate a lasting and sustainable impact on Alterna and on the region by actively contributing to the advance of Alterna’s presence within a dynamic network of entrepreneurs, investors and experts with an international social impact.
This Fellow will be a part of the cohort joining Alterna on August 6, 2018, with a minimum 8-month commitment.
A. Develop a journalistic report that chronicles inspiring stories of the entrepreneurs of the Alterna tribe. Details of the project include:
- 12+ stories (chronicles or interviews) in written and photographic format
- The stories will be written from the perspective of the entrepreneur, describing their local context, the experience of launching a business in a developing region, and the impact they are achieving in their communities
- The report will be published across Alterna platforms (website, blog, newsletter, social networks, local media networks, etc.), reaching a global network of leading actors in the impact space and beyond
- Creation process includes: site visits, primary and secondary research, compelling photography, creative writing to produce the story, and the collection of all other relevant material (testimonies, etc.) to support the history
B. Support the Communication team in the execution of its principal activities, such as:
- Reinforce and grow Alterna’s social media strategy and presence across platforms; write and consistently engage with our audience (in English and Spanish)
- Develop, reinforce, and revise communication content for the dissemination of Alterna projects across platforms (press releases, editorials, social media posts, etc.), promoting universal, inclusive, and compelling language
- Contribute to support material that is used with clients, investors, potential and current partners, and the general public; as well as materials for local and international events
- Participate in a variety of sector events, such as FLII CA&C (The Latin American Impact Investing Forum for Central America and the Caribbean), a forum hosted by Alterna in November 2018 that brings together over 500 international and regional actors in impact investing and social entrepreneurship
- Post-FLII, write a creative chronicle of the event and support in the development of the descriptions, biographies and contents of the agenda
- Please note that the Fellow will work closely with the Communications Manager and supporting team members to execute and receive feedback and support on defined activities.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Key areas of experience for a successful candidate include:
- Professional experience (ideally 2-5 years) in related career such as Journalism, Marketing or Communications, Photography, and more
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study; Masters Degree highly valued
- Demonstrated experience in the design, production and management of digital and print content for diverse audiences
- Excellent writing, storytelling, and editing skills
- Strong knowledge of content and web hosting platforms such with WordPress, Blogger, photo editing and design programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator
- Excellent Spanish language skills, both written and verbal; professional English proficiency
- Knowledge and passion for the social entrepreneurship and impact investment sector is highly desired
Key personal skills and abilities include:
- Demonstrated balance of autonomy and self-drive with strong skills in team collaboration
- Detail-oriented and well-organized, with abilities in project management and multitasking
- Ability to transfer concepts and abstract ideas into concrete, high-quality and most importantly inspiring deliverables
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, manage complexity, and adapt to challenges
- Humility, empathy and cultural sensitivity
- A sense of humor and contagious energy
Please note that the Fellowship is self-funded by the Fellow. In return of this investment of your talent and experience, Fellows will get the unique opportunity to:
- Join the pioneer organization of the impact sector in Central America and gain unparalleled exposure to initiatives that are breaking boundaries in a rapidly developing region
- Advance a diverse professional skill set and generate a lasting impact on Alterna and on the ecosystem
- Gain hands-on experience in a developing context and the Latin American entrepreneurship ecosystem, granting first-hand insights on systematic complexities and best practices in social innovation
- Connect with a network of over ~1,000+ regional entrepreneurs and a wide-reaching network of global impact leaders, presenting invaluable opportunities for professional connections and opportunities
- Work in an exciting, multicultural setting with the international, passionate, and fun-loving tribe of Alterna
- Seize a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to live the rich history, culture, and reality of Guatemala, the heart of the Mayan civilization and Central America’s most diverse country, with extraordinary access to captivating landscapes, adventures, and cultural experiences
HOW TO APPLY
We look for innovators; those who are excited by challenges; those who are looking to dive into problems head first; those who don’t take no for an answer and if you like to have fun while you work we wouldn’t be disappointed. If this is you, please fill out the Fellow Application Form from our website (http://www.alternaimpact.org/fellows) and send it with your CV to email@example.com.
Application deadline: 06 July 2018
Start date: 06 August 2018
Please see our “Frequently Asked Questions” section on our website (http://www.alternaimpact.org/fellows)
Have a question that you couldn’t find there? Email a member of our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.