The position provides both technical input and leadership in developing and implementing a communication and branding strategy, and marketing of the NU-TEC MD program and overall communications efforts of the programme.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Communications Manager will have the overall responsibility of implementing the Year 7 NU-TEC MD communications strategy. S/he will be required to establish and manage relationships with potential partners and stakeholders. The Communications Manager will be a key member of the technical advisory team. This role will also work with the Senior Technical Manager, Monitoring and Results Measurement, and Programme teams to market the NU-TEC MD brand and uptake communications strategy across a range of reactive and strategically planned opportunities in print, media, events, and online. S/he will liaise with the Team Leader, Senior Technical Manager, Technical Director. Market Managers and MRM Manager to identify and design key communications materials and disseminate them to identified audiences.
This position is based in Kampala but requires frequent travel to Gulu and other parts of Northern Uganda.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Implement and monitor the programme communications strategy.
- Plan the marketing and communications strategies for specific areas of NU-TEC MD’s work and different audiences. Work with the programme and senior management team to put the strategy into practice.
- Lead the design and development of creative communication and marketing products – presentations, briefings, etc. that will maximize NU-TEC MD’s message, support programme objectives, and contribute to the research sector.
- Develop and edit communication materials like newsletters, blogs, press releases, and similar marketing materials to promote NU-TEC MD’s products and services. This includes promoting NU-TEC MD’s interventions to the private sector and farmers in Uganda to promote ‘crowding-in’.
- Implement NU-TEC MD’s communication plan to increase brand awareness.
- Incorporate Public Release, Digital, and Traditional Marketing efforts.
- Measure and analyze current communications efforts.
- Work with different members of the NU-TEC MD implementation team to generate new ideas and innovative strategies.
- Write press releases for local, national, and international media as needed.
- Collecting and packaging project ‘stories of change’ from project areas, partners, and beneficiaries.
- Check the consistency, coherence, and credibility of ‘stories’ produced by the NU-TEC MD team (e.g. in terms of results and lessons, and the potential for advocacy).
- Provide input to the drafting of key reports and deliverables, e.g., quarterly reports, Pitch presentations.
- Support NU-TEC MD staff to analyze, synthesize and present NU-TEC MD evidence.
- Monitor press releases that relate to NU-TEC MD’s brand
- Amplify opportunities for positive Public Release.
- Drive NU-TEC MD’s employees’ share of voice through Palladium’s and or SwissContact’s corporate communications.
- Ensure communications consistency among different stakeholders.
· Assist in organizing project functions, workshops, meetings, donor and partner field trips, briefings, etc.
· Assist in the maintenance and update of the Knowledge Hub and ensure timely information dissemination.
· Maintain a NU-TEC MD database of all project partners, stakeholders, and networks.
- Prepare detailed quarterly media activity reports.
- Use communications technology to boost productivity.
· Contribute to the overall programme communication strategy and communication for uptake of the programme as part of the senior management team
· As tasked by the Team Leader, promote the NU-TEC MD brand to industry stakeholders, development partners, government representatives, and other parties.
Essential Education and Experience Required
· Postgraduate degree in communications, journalism, or related, relevant subject or BS degree in communications, journalism, or related field with 8 years relevant experience.
· 7+ years’ work experience and at least 5 years of demonstrated experience in the Communication component of a development program, markets systems program, private enterprise, or media house.
· Experience in M4P, Value chain Development or Private sector development programs, or investment promotion programs.
· Experience using marketing tools and techniques to increase the visibility, profile, and reputation of an organization.
· Experience in conducting programme end-line communication and communication for uptake.
· Critical will be to know the institutions, companies, and organizations that provide services to the agricultural sector in Uganda.
· Experience writing reports; ability to influence a range of people including client organizations, government agencies, and other key stakeholders by building constructive relationships through clear communication and generate effective discussion and mutual support for plans and ideas.
· Excellent and demonstrable communication and presentation skills in English (written and spoken)
· Experience collaborating and working with both private and public sectors and academic institutions would be advantageous.
Key Competencies Required:
· Ability to transform research reports and other program documents into lively, attractive products as blogs, newsletters, photo journals, stories, press materials, and briefs.
· Excellent computer skills (MS PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, creative design software).
· The ability to work within a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· A passion for the international development sector.
· Exceptional analytical and writing skills
· A strategic and creative thinker with proven experience of working on diverse and wide-ranging communication strategies including all forms of media.
About the Organization
NU-TEC MD is a seven-year FCDO funded program that aims to increase the incomes and climate resilience of poor men and women in northern Uganda (NU) by (a) stimulating sustainable, pro-poor growth in selected agricultural markets and (b) improving the position of poor men and women within these market systems, to make them more inclusive for poor people. Palladium manages the program on behalf of FCDO.
NU-TEC MD has the potential to sustainably and significantly improve the livelihoods of over 750,000 poor people in NU. It is expected that the program will deliver the following results:-
a) At least 750,000 poor people in Northern Uganda, 50% women, will see their resilience to climate change increased and incomes raised by at least 15%.
b) At least £55m in new investment supported by the project (excluding loans)
c) At least £90m in additional turnover in businesses supported by the project