Role & Responsibilities
Produce communication and fundraising resources and pursue media opportunities and exposure. Given the high importance of private, in addition to institutional, funding, the role is essential in ensuring that Medair raises the financial support and awareness necessary to achieve its mission. Work in close contact with the Global Support Office (GSO) and its Affiliates and advise the field teams in dealing with external communication. Monitor visibility in the field and support the internal communications of the programme.
Multi-sector relief and rehabilitation programme including: provision of primary and emergency health care, mental health and psychosocial support services, water and sanitation, and non-food items and emergency shelter to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations of South Sudan.
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan with frequent travel to field locations within the country. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
December 2018. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
Communications & Fundraising Resources
- Travel frequently to field projects to pro-actively and re-actively obtain and pitch resources. Gather and prepare communication materials for input into the document management software and online photo and video databases (photos, video footage, stories, quotes, programme updates, reports, interviews).
- Gather and prepare fundraising materials (project overviews and proposals, reports, gift handles, direct marketing resources (Medair news articles, web articles, campaign articles, thank you videos).
- Coordinate the collection of materials and data needed for the production of Medair’s Annual Report.
- Manage swift approval at field level of communications and fundraising material before publication.
- Prepare, facilitate and accompany field visits of high profile visitors, photographers, journalists, or media crews. When applicable, draft terms of reference and contracts according to guidelines.
Media & Public Relations
- Regularly monitor local press and events to be aware of and get information about local emergencies, high level visits, surveys, reports, or any other topic that could be of interest to the media. In case of emergency situations, immediately inform GSO.
- Conduct media analysis so priority channels and audiences are defined.
- Regularly assess the security and access impact that media reports may have on the programme.
- Actively conceptualise, facilitate, and produce short content updates and creative, interactive features on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Support the GSO in maintaining relations with online social media users and supporters in answering supporters’ questions and comments or in communicating from a Medair field perspective.
- Monitor social media analytics and adapt approach as necessary.
Institutional & Private Donors Relations
- Proactively draft and review private funding proposals and reports to help private funding needs.
- Collaborate with Programme Funding Manager to provide communication and visibility component of proposal and reports
- Support Project Funding Manager in managing institutional donor relations
Brand & Co-Branding Coordination
- Advise on institutional donor marking visibility budgets, conditions, and requirements. Advise logistics staff on the correct design of field visibility items based on Medair and institutional donor guidelines.
- Design visibility artwork as required.
- Assist field leadership team in developing tools and structures to pro-actively support the team in improving internal communication within the programme, e.g. internal news, contributing to team meetings, prayer reports, etc.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and GSO prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional qualification in communications / fundraising / public relations / media or marketing.
- Training or experience in multi-media production and editing.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 3-5 years of professional experience in media, communications, marketing, or fundraising.
- Strong grasp of online social media tools and techniques.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Capable of managing a varied workload, and able to operate in complex but fascinating contexts.
- Highly organised with a creative flair and a good attention to detail.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to target different audiences and to tailor output accordingly.
- Dynamic, passionate, and creative communicator.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the ”Current Vacancies” page then:
- apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
- apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.