Background Information - Job-specific
The SDG Lab is a multi-stakeholder initiative that accelerates the implementation of the 2030 Agenda. It enables the diverse ecosystem of SDG actors in Geneva and beyond to contribute towards SDG targets at country level through innovative collaboration, partnerships, methods and models that leverage expertise and knowledge into policy, practice and action.
The SDG Lab creates the opportunity and space for multi-stakeholder groups to innovate and experiment with new approaches, initiatives, and actions that accelerate the implementation of the 2030 Agenda. The Lab does not just catalyze action, it actively supports collaborative efforts in order to increase success rates.
The Communications Officer is responsible for day-to-day updates on Social Media and broader communications channels. He/she works in close collaboration with the entire team on different programmes and projects in Geneva.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Working under the supervision of the SDG Lab Communications Adviser, the contractor will perform the following tasks:
- a) Output 1 – Assist in daily monitoring and updating of the Lab’s social media tools (1. Twitter, 2. Instagram, 3. Facebook):
- Prepare 1 social media update per working day across the Lab’s tools and monitor trends and community engagement levels;
- Review social media packages from the UN Department of Global Communications (DGC) and other UN and Geneva Ecosystem partners and prepare relevant SDG content to promote on the Lab’s social media tools; and
- Attend the meetings of the UN Geneva Media Group (‘MMM’) and Social Media Focal Points and prepare summary notes with follow-up action items.
- b) Output 2 – Assist in updating the SDG Lab web site:
- Research and write 12 web updates over the duration of the contract on the Lab’s activities and post the update, together with relevant assets (e.g. images, videos, links), on the English and French version of the Lab website (where applicable);
- Add events to the website events calendar; and
- Compile monthly web statistics.
- c) Output 3 – Assist in supporting SDG Lab event related communications:
- Assist in preparing the event documentation and materials (e.g. flyer, invitation, list of participants, etc.) in accordance with the Lab’s brand guide and existing templates;
- At events, take photographs and prepare social media content (e.g. tweets, Instagram posts); and
- Support in the set up and tear down of events (e.g. banners, documentation, ushering, etc.)
- d) Output 4 – Assist in supporting SDG Lab outreach activities:The contractor will:
- Assist with the production and dissemination of the SDG Lab News Dispatch (Mailchimp newsletter) and other email communications;
- Attend SDG Lab meetings and prepare notes for the record and disseminate as appropriate; and
- Add business cards to the Lab’s web-based customer-relationship management software.
Monitoring and Project Controls
- A work plan will be formulated and agreed between the SDG Lab Communications Adviser and the incumbent, including milestones and reporting requirements.
- Successfully meeting deadlines.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, political affairs or a related field.
- Work Experience
- 2 years of experience in a communications, political affairs or a related position.
- Experience working in the United Nations.
- Experience in taking photos and producing short video clips (e.g. Instagram stories).
- Familiarity with UN systems, tools and procedures.
Fluency in English. Other languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese and Arabic) desirable.
- Functional Competencies
Experience in using social media tools, MS Office.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to work efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Proven judgment, discretion and diplomacy.
- Ability to work under pressure and obtain results.
- Capacity and willingness to work in a collaborative manner.
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only:
Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA)
Contract level: International ICA Level 1 (I-ICA 1) / ICS-8
Contract duration: 12 months, renewable
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
This position is based in Switzerland and the fee is subject to taxes levied by the Swiss authorities.
About the Organization
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.