The Bureau for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) has contracted through ZemiTek to recruit and hire an energetic communications specialist to join its communications team. The communications team is part of the LAC Bureau’s Strategy and Program Office (LAC/SPO). LAC/SPO provides leadership for Bureau strategy and policy development and budget formulation. LAC/SPO identifies and addresses crosscutting development issues, manages the allocation and tracking of budget resources, assesses the impact of assistance, coordinates assistance with other donors, provides guidance on overall program and budgeting strategy and policies, and coordinates public outreach on USAID LAC programs. The Communications Advisor will report to the head of LAC/SPO and coordinate closely with the LAC Bureau Senior Communications Advisors. The Communications Advisor will be the Bureau’s key point of contact on assigned communications matters and will provide general outreach and communication support to the LAC Bureau.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Backstop and collaborate with field Mission Development Outreach and Communications (DOC) staff. Advise Mission DOC staff on use of key communications tools; provide guidance and support on public facing content for USAID website and social media.
● Write and edit public documents, speeches, talking points, briefing documents, and other products (including social media) aimed at key stakeholders such as the Congress, think tanks, media, etc.
● Work with USAID Legislative and Public Affairs Office on LAC submissions to USAID publications and press coverage of LAC programs.
● Lead the design and production of USAID LAC publications, which could include electronic newsletters, annual reports, or special publications.
● Ensure that LAC website is up to date, using most recent field reports and independent USAID Mission submissions.
● Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
● Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field including journalism, communications, or a related degree.
● Minimum seven (7) years’ progressively responsible experience in the communications field, planning, writing, editing, and producing communications through a variety of print and online media, with new media technology utilization, with at least two (2) years’ experience in an international or resource challenged setting.
● Must be able to write well and persuasively under pressure/deadline; strong editorial expertise.
● Ability to work independently or as an integral member of a team.
● Experience with content management, content production, and social media.
● Experience working with press.
● Knowledge of theories and principles of development assistance.
● Outstanding organizational and planning abilities.
● Experience developing communications products in design software a plus. Interested candidates should submit their CV, two writing samples, and a sample of design work (if available).
● Spanish-language skills strongly preferred.
About the Organization
ZemiTek, LLC is a Woman-Owned, SBA-certified 8(a) Small Disadvantage Business (SDB) based in the Washington, DC metro area. We have a strong record delivering innovative and high-quality solutions. Since 2007, ZemiTek has provided technical assistance, project management, information technology (IT), knowledge management, monitoring and evaluation, training and learning development, and institutional support services.