Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Finance (WASH-FIN) is a five-year program financed by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), implemented as a task order under the Making Cities Work IDIQ contract. Its primary objectives are to close financing gaps to achieve universal access to water and sanitation, and to increase the potential to reach additional beneficiaries at scale in priority countries. WASH-FIN is working to achieve these objectives by:
1. Applying methods for tracking public investment in water and sanitation to assess progress, prioritize future investments, and improve sector performance
2. Providing technical assistance to facilitate mobilization of public and private finance to enhance water and sanitation service delivery, with an emphasis on urban and peri-urban areas and climate resilience; and
3. Facilitation the replication of successes by both USAID and sector stakeholders through the development and dissemination of practical applications and lessons learned.
WASH-FIN is now in the third of a five-year implementation period, and currently operates in eight countries (Cambodia, Kenya, Nepal, Mozambique, the Philippines, Senegal, South Africa, and Zambia).
The Communications Specialist is responsible for leading the overall, implementation and evaluation of the communications objectives of the WASH-FIN Project Knowledge Management and Communications (KMC) Strategy and work plan. This includes the development, oversight, and review of all Project-related communications and outreach content and materials. The Specialist will be central to ensuring that the project Marking and Branding plan is implemented consistently and correctly across the portfolio of 8 countries according to ADS guidelines. Although not integral to the position, there is some possibility of travel – up to 25%. The Communications Specialist will work under the overall direction of the Chief of Party and in coordination with the Knowledge Management and Communications Lead based in Nairobi and the Project Management Team in Rosslyn. This is a full-time position based in Arlington (Rosslyn), Virginia.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Review, validate, and improve the communications sections of the KMC strategy and implementation plan.
- Oversee the correct application of WASH-FIN’s Branding and Marking Plan; compliant with USAID regulations.
- Provide technical advice, training and support to the project staff regarding compliance with USAID’s branding and marking requirements.
- Develop communications materials in collaboration with technical staff, that leverage technical accomplishments (events, toolkits, manuals, documents and other resources), and milestones (e.g. transactions closed, country office close, etc.) such that these accomplishments are accessible, user-friendly, timely, and tailored for target audiences and stakeholders.
- Review WASH-FIN reports including weekly highlights, quarterly reports and annual work plans; prepare success stories and content for use in USAID Washington and Mission publications and media assets.
- Support development of information products based on evidence as generated by WASH-FIN activities, as needed.
- Prepare and manage press releases and relations in compliance with USAID policies and procedures for review.
- Package and facilitate the translation of complex information into easy to read and easy to use formats.
- Identify communication deficiencies around project activities and documents and learning events and propose adaptive measures to overcome these deficiencies.
- Ensure the language and approach used in project documents, manuals, guidelines and toolkits are appropriate for audiences in different social and cultural contexts.
- Draft talking points, speeches, press releases, presentations, and other materials as needed by the Chief of Party and/or Country Team Leaders or USAID.
- Build capacity of staff, partners, and other stakeholders to develop communications and knowledge products
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications
- Degree in communications, journalism, English or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- 5-7 years’ work experience in the field of communications and/or journalism. Demonstrated experience developing and implementing communication strategies and plans
- International field experience preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written.
- Proficiency in the development and production of communications materials.
- Knowledge of water and sanitation sector and/or infrastructure project finance or municipal finance desired
- Inter-personal skills conducive to working in multiple countries, with a diverse set of actors.
- Ability to multi-task in a high-pressure work environment and work well in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Fluency in English (both written and oral) required; French or Portuguese desirable.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Knowledge of USAID branding and communications desired.
- Cultural sensitivity, integrity and ability to work with minimum supervision.
Please send CVs and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
About the Organization
SEGURA Consulting LLC is an international consulting firm, specializing in advisory services to public and private sector clients in emerging markets around the globe.
Combining the experience of senior professionals from a variety of backgrounds, the firm delivers high quality consulting and project implementation support to address the needs of government and business in developing countries.
SEGURA Consulting LLC is based in the Washington DC metropolitan area, with easy access to US Government agencies, international organizations, major research centers, think tanks and universities, as well as diplomatic and commercial delegations from all over the world.
Partners and Principal Associates of our firm come from some of the world’s most prestigious professional services organizations and international financial institutions. Our commitment is to provide “brand name” advisory services of the highest quality, with the agility and flexibility that contemporary realities demand.
We believe in professionalism, client service, fairness and integrity. We provide our clients with honest advice and dedicated support to jointly achieve effective results. We seek to develop long-term professional relationships based on mutual trust and respect.