At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Communications (COMM) - Pact strives for a world where all people are heard, capable, and vibrant. The Integrated Communications department helps realize this objective by supporting organizational and project level communications across Pact.
The Communications Specialist (Specialist) supports efforts across a broad range of communications activities, with an emphasis on media relations, advocacy and external engagement. The Specialist works closely with subject matter experts around the world to promote stories and content that highlight the organization, its leadership, mission and impact. The role requires compelling message development, strong relationship management, and high emotional intelligence.
- Assist with the preparation and editing of diverse internal and external written content, including press releases, talking points, fact sheets, blogs, presentations and statements.
- Maintain up-to-date media lists and regularly track and document ongoing engagements.
- Build and sustain relationships with key reporters.
- Conduct regular media monitoring (traditional and social) and share relevant coverage with project/technical teams and other internal stakeholders.
- Respond to incoming media and partner requests promptly, accurately and efficiently, coordinating with various teams, to ensure professionalism and message consistency.
- Pitch Pact stories, projects and experts to media, coordinating logistics and briefing materials.
- Coach Pact staff in effective communication and engagement with the media.
- Support implementation of Pact’s policy and advocacy strategy.
- Provide support for Hill outreach meetings and briefings, including scheduling, researching participants and issues, and developing and assembling materials.
- Attend and summarize for the organization relevant Hill events, including briefings and hearings, and other relevant events hosted by the development community.
- Establish and maintain professional and collegial relationships with Congressional staff and engage with them on relevant policy issues.
- Help draft external communications materials and create content on the website and on social media, working closely with the Senior Content Officer and global communicators.
- Assist with scheduling email-marketing campaigns/blasts.
- Support and grow cooperative relationships with partner organizations.
- Maintain calendar of events/conferences/meetings of global relevance and pitch appearances or exhibits to increase awareness of Pact’s work.
- A Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, political science, public affairs, international development, or another relevant field.
- 3-5 years of experience in strategic communications and/or advocacy.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to manage working relationships diplomatically.
- Professional experience using digital communications and social media platforms.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure.
- High degree of emotional intelligence.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken.
- Experience with website maintenance and Content Management Systems.
- Experience working for an NGO and/or humanitarian aid agency.
- Fluency in French, Spanish or Swahili.
About the Organization
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.