Abt Associates seeks a qualified Communications Specialist for the Local Health System Sustainability Project’s Jordan Activity (LHSS/Jordan). The LHSS Project is USAID’s flagship initiative in integrated health systems strengthening, with a goal to help low- and middle- income countries transition to sustainable, self-financed health systems as a means to support universal health coverage. LHSS/Jordan in particular will support the Government of Jordan’s (GOJ) efforts to improve health care professionals’ competencies to deliver quality health services through the institutionalization of a mandatory continuing professional development (CPD) system for professional license renewal. The Activity will also work with the Ministry of Health (MOH) and private sector on strengthening the Jordanian contact tracing system, providing rapid support to the country’s immediate COVID-19 diagnostic capacity, providing assistance to private and public sector partners for COVID-19 case management and surge support, and advocating to develop a legal framework for telemedicine services.
This is a full-time position based in Amman, Jordan, working under the supervision of the Activity’s Advocacy & Communications Advisor.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The Communications Specialist will have the following specific duties and responsibilities:
- Assists the Advocacy & Communications Advisor in the development of an integrated communications strategy, and supports the MOH and grantees in implementing their communication plans;
- Supports the project’s technical, cross-cutting, and operations teams to ensure efficient planning and implementation of communications activities;
- Creates and disseminates appropriate communication products via relevant channels, including traditional and social media, events, printed materials and video. Ensures key messages are consistently delivered to relevant target audiences across all channels;
- Writes and packages success stories for internal and external publications;
- Ensures consistent and coherent USAID branding and editorial style across all Activity outputs, including media outreach, audiovisual material, publications, reports, documents and presentations;
- With the Advocacy & Communications Advisor, develops weekly bullets and monthly reports summarizing activity progress, challenges, successes, and learning; and
- With the LHSS Home Office, coordinates the production, formatting, and editing of annual and quarterly reports.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (communications, journalism, social sciences, international development) and at least 5 years of relevant professional experience.
- Prior experience working on donor-funded projects, preferably with USAID.
- Excellent English language proficiency, including report writing skills.
- Strong creative and analytical skills and good strategic judgment.
- Strong understanding of media planning and experience working on digital communications.
- Excellent Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills. Experience in Google platforms and other virtual working platforms is an added quality.
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.