ENVISION is currently in the sixth year of an eight-year project funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). •As USAID•s flagship NTD project, it is a large, global project, with multiple technical and support functions at the global level in support of the World Health Organization•s Neglected tropical disease (NTD) control and elimination goals.• In addition, ENVISION provides financial and technical assistance to national NTD programs in nineteen countries.• Support is targeted at seven targeted NTDs: •lymphatic filariasis, trachoma, onchocerciasis, schistosomiasis, and three soil-transmitted helminths (roundworm, hookworm, whipworm). ENVISION is also a global leader in the field of NTDs, influencing policy and practice through evidence based learning and communication.
ENVISION delivers to USAID one workplan and two semi-annual reports per year, including one global project work plan, sixteen country-level work plans, one project level report, and sixteen country-level reports. The ENVISION Reports Writer leads the coordination, development, and delivery of these numerous and lengthy project deliverables to USAID. Multiple technical authors contribute to the writing of these work plans and reports and editorial support is providing by RTI•s document preparation group.
As a global leader in NTD control and elimination, ENVISION also creates public communications about the projects aims, collaborations, outputs, and successes.• These public communications are used for conferences, social media, websites, technical articles, peer-reviewed publications, and advocacy briefs.•
The Communications Specialist • Reports Writer will have proven success in the development of such public project communications, bringing innovation, creativity, and strong communications skills to the project.
Therefore, we are looking for someone who is very well organized, an excellent planner with an extraordinary visual sense who enjoys and takes pride in his/her writing and editing skills, who has a proven track record for performance delivering high quality, timely annual work plans and reports to USAID, and who has experience in the development of public project communications materials. This person must be able to work closely with the project team coordinating inputs from multiple authors and ensuring deadlines are clearly communicated and met.
The ENVISION report writer will work full time on the ENVISION project, based in Washington, DC, reporting to the NTDs Senior Communications Specialist. The following are the major responsibilities of the position:
Manage production of ENVISION deliverables to USAID: work plans and semi-annual reports (60%):
- Lead the production of major ENVISION deliverables to USAID, including all country and project level workplans and project and country-level semiannual reports, to accurately document ENVISION plans, progress, achievements, and outputs.
- Work closely with project Technical Assistants (TAs) who are responsible for writing country level work plans and reports, by leading the planning process, developing templates, providing and coordinating editorial support, and ensuring delivery of on-time quality products to USAID.
- Work closely with the project management to propose and finalize project level work plan and report outlines, identify themes and key communication messages, lead compilation and review of project workplan/report components, and to submit final documents.
- Lead the planning and production of project-level work plan/reports, assigning writing responsibilities to multiple technical authors on the team, writing some sections, design and graphics, and ensuring delivery of on-time, quality products to USAID.
- Work closely with ENVISION senior data manager to coordinate data inputs required for work plan and report writing, production of the data appendices, and maps.
- Manage relationship with RTI•s document preparation group who provide editorial support.•
Manage production of public project communication materials (40%):
- Write project summaries, fact sheets, technical briefs, speeches, and other communications materials to highlight project successes, challenges, and lessons learned.
- Support development of ENVISION and other NTD presentations, briefers, speeches, etc. for senior staff.
- Edit and format technical materials including promotional materials, and technical briefs, ensuring clear and concise language usage, and strong layout and design.
- Contribute to content creation and management of ENVISION•s website.
- Support the development of published technical articles, papers, reports.
- Oversee preparation of illustrative materials, selecting drawings, sketches, diagrams and charts.
- Supports ad hoc ENVISION led technical meetings and conferences.
- Manages contractual relationships with external vendors.
- Review to ensure ENVISION publications and communication materials reflect ENVISION technical approaches and strategies.
- Ensure that all ENVISION documents and products, produced by RTI and its sub partners, have branding and marking in accordance with the latest USAID policies.
- Keep abreast of new developments and emerging issues with NTDs that affect USAID and inform the team.
- Manage multiple activities or projects with competing deadlines.
- Collaborate with communications colleagues across RTI.
- Support other business development activities such as Salesforce updates, development of corporate capabilities statements, proposal writing, etc.
- Support the development of project abstracts, briefs, and accomplishment summaries.
- Create content and update the NTDEnvision.org website regularly.
- Other duties as assigned by the senior communications manager.
Bachelor•s degree in Public Health, Global health, Social Sciences, Communication or related field plus•• minimum 6 years of technically relevant work experience.
- Must have at least•three years of experience developing, designing, and preparing project reports for USAID. •
- At least three years• experience working on public health and/or development projects.
- Extraordinary proven organizational and work prioritization skills.
- Excellent leadership, communications, and interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, ensuring deadlines are clear and are met.
- Able to work effectively with technical staff and to communicate technical information to different audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to present data and analysis in easily understood infographics and data•visualizations.
- Web content management skills, experience using Drupel a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and proven ability to communicate in English quickly, clearly and concisely • both verbally and in writing.
- Computer skills in MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and Access.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally.
- Demonstrate high sensitivity and tolerance to cultural, religious, racial, national origin, age and gender issues.
- Demonstrate discretion in the handling of sensitive and/or confidential issues.
- Demonstrated public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Good working knowledge of•French•is a plus.
- Experience writing proposals a plus.
- As part of the applicant process, all applicants must submit a sample of their own work • a workplan or annual report or similar work sample.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
About the OrganizationIDG Global Health