Counterpart International is a global development organization that empowers people and communities to implement innovative and enduring solutions to social, economic, and environmental challenges. For nearly 50 years, Counterpart has been forging partnerships with communities in need to address complex problems related to economic development, food security and nutrition, and building effective governance and institutions.
For more information visit www.Counterpart.org
Counterpart International is seeking a full-time Community Development Technical Specialist to implement participatory community development programs in rural Uganda. This locally-hired individual will be responsible for leading a number of community development initiatives intended to integrate communities with tourism activities to create economic benefits and mitigate negative impacts among protected areas.
This is a local position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- During this anticipated four-year assignment the Specialist will work closely with the Community Development Technical Advisor and Chief of Party to implement community development programming over five geographic regions, focusing on community-based tourism and natural resource management.
- The Specialist will need to call upon a range of skills, including cultural knowledge, relationship management, capacity building, and project management.
- The candidate should have strong technical depth and expertise in natural resource management, participatory processes, livelihoods, and microenterprise development. Prior professional experience in community-based tourism and/or human-wildlife conflict management would be an asset.
- University degree in business, tourism, economics, agriculture/rural development, or other related field;
- Minimum of seven years previous work experience in community economic development programs
- Technical background and experience in community-led rural development, livelihoods, microenterprise development, and community-based natural resource management
- Strong inter-personal skills and results orientation
- High level of English fluency, both verbal and written
- Strong network of national and regional contacts
- Fluency in at least one local language
- Familiarity and experience managing/implementing USAID-funded programs.
Counterpart is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans and the physically challenged are encouraged to apply.