Plan is seeking applicants for a proposed Community Mobilization Lead for the anticipated USAID/Zambia Let’s Read project in Zambia. The Community Mobilization Lead will lead Plan International’s work to mobilize parents and community to support reading activities and encourage gender inclusiveness. The position will be based in Lusaka and will oversee work in the provinces of Eastern, Muchinga, Southern Northwestern and Western.
This position is contingent upon award of the project by the donor and has an anticipated start date of November 2018 if awarded.
- Lead technical design, oversight, and monitoring of activities for community and parent engagement in government and community schools with a focus on supporting reading activities
- Contribute detailed and accurate technical deliverables and reports to fulfill USAID reporting requirements.
- Coordinate and oversee up to five community mobilization coordinators based in the target districts; oversee implementation of annual program work and plans
- Ensure the timely and quality completion of program technical deliverables and reports in accordance with USAID guidelines
- Liaise and coordinate with other related projects and activities ongoing in Zambia, including Plan’s ongoing programs.
- Contribute to the development of annual work plans and to development of performance monitoring plans.
- Work closely with other project technical experts on all project activities.
- Ensure Plan’s Child Protection Policy and Guidelines are adhered to during project implementation
Key Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in social science or education or related discipline
- A minimum of eight years demonstrated experience in program management, community mobilization and engagement in Zambia
- Experience mobilizing parent support to students’ acquisition of reading skills, in particular students enrolled in early grades of primary education.
- Experience developing training materials for communities in support of early grade reading activities, especially in the assessment of reading skills, and social behavior change communication.
- Ability to interact and build performing relationships with stakeholders especially with school management committees, district councils, organizations, departments and institutions that complement the acquisition of reading skills at school and community level.
- Experience with USAID-funded projects highly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge about gender and development, and demonstrated experience and proficiency in managing programs that mainstream gender preferred
- English written and oral fluency required
- Candidate must be legally authorized to work in Zambia; local candidates and those in the diaspora are encouraged to apply.
To apply please send resumes in English to firstname.lastname@example.org and use the subject “Zambia Let’s Read”. The deadline for applications is July 29, 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About the Organization
Plan International is a global organization that works side by side with communities in 50 developing countries to end the cycle of poverty for children and their families. Plan works at the community level to develop customized solutions and ensure long-term sustainability. Our solutions are designed up-front to be owned by communities and range from clean water and healthcare programs to education projects, economic empowerment, child protection initiatives and youth civic engagement. Across program areas, Plan’s activities are guided by a Child-Centered Community Development (CCCD) approach, which is rights-based, holistic, gender-sensitive, and inclusive.