The Sakchyam Access to Finance for the Poor Programme (Sakchyam) is an initiative funded by UKaid as part of an agreement between the Governments of Nepal and the UK. It is implemented by Louis Berger for the Department for International Development (DFID Nepal) in partnership with local and international institutions. The programme is working with the public and private sectors to leverage access and facilitate financial sector development in Nepal for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and for poor people with a focus on Province No. 5, 7 & Karnali, and beyond.
To do so, the programme focuses on three main outputs:
- Improved SME Finance as banks and other financial institutions provide more and better products and services to these enterprises.
- Strengthened capacity of microfinance financial institutions (MFIs) as well as other formal and semi-formal financial institutions, to provide services in selected districts.
- Improved financial capability of enterprises and households in priority districts.
The position will require full responsibilities of the tasks and duties assigned to Output 2 and 3 of the Programme (Financial Inclusion and Financial Literacy). The position will lead the staff members of the two components and will work closely with other outputs and departments towards a successful management of the activities under these two outputs. The position will be based in Kathmandu with frequent trips to the programme regional offices and areas of programme implementation. The Outputs Leader will report to the Programme Team Leader. The key responsibilities and duties of the position are listed below.
- Financial Inclusion Output
- Overall responsibility of timely completion of monthly output deliverables as outlined in the programme approved work plan and any other deliverables related to the mandate of the output
- Build new partnership with prominent and best performing Microfinance, other financial institutions and Fintech companies that will result in new concept notes and full applications for the programme challenge fund
- Lead the component team to maintain partnership with existing programme grantees; oversee the output partner relationship managers to effectively monitor implementation of partnership and grant agreements with each partner financial institutions under output 2
- Review and provide feedback on concept notes and applications for challenge funds
- Draft and finalize Request for Proposal (RFPs) for innovative financial products and services to be rolled out to solicit applications for new challenge fund partnerships
- Ensure all programme partners’ compliance with programme challenge fund and M&E reporting requirements including quarterly and annual narrative reports
- Undertake field visits to programme partners to oversee the implementation of the programme challenge fund and monitor partners’ performance
- Provide oversight and support to partner financial institutions towards design and successful implementation of microinsurance products with emphasis on weather index based, micro life insurance and other mobile-enabled microinsurance products
- Oversee programme coordination with third party service providers to Sakchyam partners in implementation of different initiatives with Sakchyam funding
- Provide inputs for monthly and quarterly programme reports to DFID
- Other responsibilities assigned by the Team Leader.
- Financial Literacy Output
- Overall responsibility of the completion of all output’s monthly deliverables as outlined in the programme work plan
- Lead the design, development and implementation of new and innovative financial literacy initiatives in partnership with and through the programme partner financial institutions (grantees)
- Conduct research and propose recommendations for innovative and new financial education and literacy initiatives based on global best practices with focus on technology-enabled financial literacy programmes
- Closely work with Smart Campaign and other local and global stakeholders towards certification of a number of programme partner financial institutions
- Supervise output staff responsible for coordinating with programme partners to ensure successful implementation of the financial literacy initiatives supported through the programme challenge fund
- Conduct field visits to programme partner institutions to ensure effective implementation of financial literacy initiatives funded by Sakchyam challenge fund
- Provide feedback and inputs on financial literacy aspects for all concept notes and full applications for challenge funding
- Provide inputs for monthly and quarterly programme reports to DFID.
- Other responsibilities assigned by the Team Leader.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
The successful candidate should possess adequate knowledge and experiences in designing and implementing private sector development and financial inclusion programmes. Experience implementing similar initiatives through donor-funded projects (UKaid/DFID, USAID, etc.) is desired.
Key education and relevant experience requirement are:
- Bachelor or master degree in business administration, finance, economics, international development or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in financial sector development (particularly in Microfinance, Microinsurance, Remittance, etc.,) and development economics
- Demonstrated experience in working with microfinance and cooperative institutions in developing countries, preferably in South Asia, on the design and implementation of financial inclusion and financial literacy initiatives
- Experience in managing capacity building support to MFIs
- Experience in product design, especially agriculture value chain financing, microinsurance, remittance, and other technology-enabled products and services
- Experience in developing training manuals and conducting trainings
- Excellent communication skills, including interpersonal and in written and oral English.
About the Organization
The Louis Berger Group, Inc. is an internationally recognized consulting firm that provides engineering, architecture, program and construction management, environmental planning and science, and economic development services. We are a devoted and trusted partner to federal, state, and local government agencies; multilateral institutions; and commercial industry. To this diverse client base we bring strategic vision and an entrepreneurial spirit, developing innovative solutions to some of the world’s most challenging problems. Integrated Development (ID), a division within Louis Berger, offers a multi-disciplinary approach to international development.